3: (un)settling in

(A/N: Thiiiiiiiisssss chapter is gonna be introductory to different aspects of the story. )

It didn't take long for Charlie to open up to me, which was odd considering the way she first addressed me with a hiss not too long ago. Her nature was actually very charismatic, I wondered if she was popular at this school because I couldn't imagine such a person couldn't be. But as Lila and I made our way out of the infirmary and down the halls, Charlie kept her head held low and emanated the same cold and watchful aura she had when we first met. She didn't take kindly to almost anyone who walked our way.

Lila rubbed the bandage on her nose. "I hope this doesn't stay for long... I worked so hard on my skin"

Charlie twirled over to her. "Does it matter if it does though... I think it would leave a killer battle scar."

Lila jumped. "Scar?!" Charlie gave a small laugh as we turned to another corridor. 

The school halls were bare most of the time, and the traffic was small. It was about 15 minutes until class time and although it was early I didn't expect such a lifelessness in the halls because the architecture of the place was inviting. 

Then we left the main building to an adjacent compartment, is was a dark curving building with three stories of height and outer wooden designs. The sweeping entrance carried us to a dome-like structure the sunlight radiating in from above which displayed a warm essence to the interior, three levels of classrooms with walkways and staircases connecting the levels in the sky.

Lila looked to me with a sudden curiosity as we headed for the office that lay in the middle, I had introduced myself and waited for a timetable. The office worker, a crow looking lady with sunken eyes addressed me with little concern and hurriedly went back to her previous work. she seemed stressed, and as I glanced at the other workers they all seemed stressed too.

This place is weird... it doesn't feel like a school.

Lila snatched the timetable from my hands and studying the paper, Charlie looked over her shoulder. They were both silent.

"Phew." A sigh of relief left Lila, she huddled over and held her hands to her knees to steady. Her reaction seemed so out of place, but Charlie had the same sense of relief. "She's not in a den."

"What is it?" I asked. Lila regained herself and happily dragged me up the stairs. 

"You are with us in homeroom, sport, history and art!" her maturity seemed to slip away at her childish reaction, admittedly it was cute.

"Thank god," Charlie muttered from behind, trying to catch up and holding my timetable, it seemed as if they were guiding me to homeroom so I just kept walking. "I started to worry if she would survive being in a den. But it seems by some miracle she doesn't have much to worry about." Charlie's serious tone piqued my interest, her features seemed to soften as I looked to her.

"What are you two talking about? Ha Ha. How cute that you're worried about me..." My attempt at being light-hearted fell on silent ears, as we reach the top floor I could see the two were in their own thoughts.

"There's some stuff you need to catch up on... for your own safety." Lila was the first to speak. "How did you come here (Y/N)?" Her voice was low and quieter than ever before.

"...I moved here from the city and I live on the coast in my grandfather's old place. I know little about the area. My grandfather paid for my tuition before he passed..." The memory of the way he left stung a little.

"Oh..." Lila stood still in her tracks and drifted away, shying away from the conversation.

"It's okay Lila, he was an awesome man. He helped me so much in everything I did. I wish you guys would have met him, he was so weird and funny. He was a birdwatcher and some kind of explorer... I'm pretty sure he still has a ton of cool historic stuff at his place."