I Can Change That

“Mom, tell Lauren to leave my friends and me alone tonight,” Ally demands before grinning sickeningly sweet at her mother and adding, “please.”

“Mami, that isn’t fair!” Lauren argues, following downstairs, and pushing up her glasses on the bridge of her nose. “Tell her she can’t do that. Ma, Ally hates me because I’m adopted.”

Ally bursts out laughing and smacks her sister’s shoulder. “I don’t hate you because you’re adopted. I hate you because you’re annoying.” She teases.

I hate you because you’re annoying.” Lauren mocks and rolls her eyes.

“Ally, be nice to your sister.” Jerry says, walking into the kitchen.

Lauren grins triumphantly and Ally huffs at the both of them. Pat just sighs at her two daughters.

“Lauren, please,” Ally begs. “I promise I’ll make it up to you. Just stay in your room for once while they’re here because all you do is end up staring at Camila. There I said it! That’s why I don’t want you in my room with us.”

Lauren pouts, “You stare at Tori.”

“She’s my girlfriend!” Ally retorts, laughing. “Lolo, please. I promise I will make it up to you. I’ll go see The 1975 with you in Apri - I know you still need someone to go with.”

“Fine.” Lauren grumbles. “Can I at least say hi to Camila? Or is even breathing near her off limits? Should I go to Normani’s house?”

“Mija, don’t be so dramatic.” Pat laughs. “Look, you can invite Normani over if you want.”

“She’s out of town.” Lauren frowns and her shoulders noticeably slump. “I’ll just…go read my new comic or something.”

“I can hang out with you, Lauren.” Jerry grins and gives a gentle elbow jab to her side. “We can watch Deadpool again. Or The Avengers.”

“No, it’s okay.” Lauren mumbles. “Thanks, dad.” She drags her feet upstairs and goes up to her room, shutting the door.

Pat sighs and lifts her eyebrows up at her oldest daughter.

“I didn’t do anything! Just asked for a favor.” Ally defends herself right away. “Brandon used to do that to us too.”

“You didn’t have a crush on any of Brandon’s friends.” She reminds Ally with a smile.

“I’m gay!” Ally counters. “Look, it’s not that she likes Camila, I don’t care. It’s just…weird. How would you like it if your little sister liked one of your best friends and tried hitting on them? You guys know I love Lauren more than anything - she’s my best friend just as much as she is my sister - but the pining over Camila is too much sometimes.”

Jerry sighs. “Just try to be a little nicer to her when it comes to your friends. She’s only 15 and you know how sensitive she can be.”

Ally sighs, but nods anyway. “I will,” she promises, “after tonight, I swear.”

-

Laurenza (6:34 PM): She’s so annoying omg she acts like I’m going to dry hump Camila in front of everyone at school let alone her friends

ManiBear (6:35 PM): Well…

Laurenza (6:36 PM): Fuck you Mani.

ManiBear (6:37 PM): I’m kidding !

ManiBear (6:37 PM): I mean at least she’s taking you to see the 1975

Laurenza (6:39 PM): Yeah I guess. I just wish she didn’t treat me like I’m SO much younger than them you know? Like, we’re only two years apart and I like looking at one of her friends so what? Camila’s cute.