Pay Attention to Me

Okay, so maybe Lauren should have known this was going to be a problem once Camila named their new cat after her favorite character from Law and Order.

In her defense, the calico cat had been a surprise birthday present for her girlfriend since Lauren had to work on Camila’s birthday last year and the brown-eyed girl had relentlessly begged to get a pet for months. Lauren, stubborn as ever, had refused to give in because why on earth should they get a pet when Lauren has everything in their apartment so wonderfully organized?

But goddamn, her girlfriend was cute.

The first time Camila had asked Lauren had raised her eyebrows at the suggestion. Yes, the two girls had been living together for almost two years now, but a pet? That was a huge step, not to mention an entirely new responsibility. The Jaureguis did have a family pet that she helped take care of, but Lauren wasn’t sure if she could have the well-being of an animal placed entirely on her and Camila’s shoulders. Thinking about it made her nervous. Lauren also happened to enjoy waking up to a blissfully peaceful apartment with the smell of her girlfriend’s cooking slowly coaxing her out of her sleep, one of the only things that prevented Lauren from being the massive morning grouch that she was.

The black-haired girl would slowly blink her eyes open, proceed to stretch herself out all over the bed (something Camila complained about because Lauren accidently karate chopped her in the throat once), and then roll out of bed with usually little or nothing on at all before making her way to the kitchen. Camila would be wearing one of Lauren’s shirts, a habit she had developed after almost burning her skin off trying to make bacon and eggs one morning, and her thigh high socks that Lauren thought she looked ridiculously good in, despite the fact she didn’t approve of her girlfriend’s insistence to wear socks to bed.

Her girlfriend may be infamous for tripping over air and choking on her own spit, but she definitely knew how to cook.

They would eat in comfortable silence across the counter from each other, forks and knives quietly clinking against their plates, and Lauren would glance at her girlfriend while she chewed, admiring the way the sun turned her eyes a warm topaz and highlighted her delicate cheekbones. When they finished, Lauren would always wash the dishes afterwards as a thank you gesture, often with Camila comfortably latched onto her back, humming contently to herself.

The last thing Lauren would want was some furry, feathered, or scaly demon disrupting their perfect environment.

But like always, she eventually caved to her girlfriend’s wishes. Of course, Lauren decided she had to make adequate preparations beforehand for whatever kind of pet that her girlfriend wanted in their comfortable apartment and she was extra careful when Camila brought up the subject again with big brown eyes and a pouty lip. Lauren was terrible at keeping secrets and having her very insistent girlfriend sitting in her lap with her arms draped across her neck didn’t help matters at all. The green-eyed girl had given Camila what she hoped was an exasperated expression before asking what kind of pet the persistent girl wanted.

Without even the slightest hesitation, Camila had launched into a verbal tirade, rattling off a list of animals and the pros and cons. Much to Lauren’s surprise the first animal that Camila named, a dog, was immediately crossed off the list because as much as Camila loved dogs (she loved anything that breathed really) she pointed out that dogs required a lot of training and having an eccentric puppy around the house would most likely mean little sleep, despite the fact that the girl herself was a human tornado. Camila was also extremely fond of their carpeted floors and her never ending collection of shoes and sandals. Birds were an absolute no, since Camila decided having a living, feathered torpedo in the house would be bad for both of their health. Lauren had interjected with a half-serious suggestion of a fish, which earned her a pillow to the face.