Losing It

Lauren propped her iPad up on her lap and waited for it to connect to Camila back home. She was on a business trip and unfortunately had to spend the week away from her wife and two children. The screen changed and eventually Camila’s stressed face appeared.

“Hey babe, how’s the trip?” Camila asked, putting on a smile.

“It’s going great. I might be able to go home a day early if everything continues the way it’s going on now. What’s going on over there?”

Camila looked like she was going to say something happy but then Lauren saw something bright red fly across the screen and then Camila’s smile dropped. There was a loud wail in the background and Camila’s jaw clenched. “I can’t take it anymore Lo. I’m going to rip my hair out. You have to come home and take them or I swear I’ll kill them. I will kill our children if I spend one more moment in this house.”

Lauren chuckled and shook her head. “Camz, calm down. What’s going on?”

“They’re out of control. Bella locked herself in the closet because Landon was throwing crayons at her and now he’s laying facedown in the living room and I don’t know what to do.” There was another loud wail and Lauren watched the scenery change as Camila walked into the living room. “Ah Dios Mio! Landon, get off the floor. And Bella come out of there!”

“I can’t! I’m broken!” their daughter shouted from the closet. “I can’t live like this!”

“It’s probably because you’re in a closet you lunatic!”

“No one understands me!” she shouted back and continued to let out a loud, raspy wail.

“Landon! Get off the floor!”

“No Mami. Just leave me here to die,” he groaned and turned back to bury his face in the plush carpet.

Lauren saw the camera flip from her flustered wife to the sight of their familiar living room. There was the locked closet off to the left and her son lying flat on the ground. “Do you see your children? Do you see what I’m going through? You have to come home, like now.”

“Camz, you’ll be fine. It’s only a few more days.”

“I can’t do it baby. I’m gonna STRANGLE HER IF SHE DOESN’T GET OUT OF THE CLOSET!”

“I’M NOT COMING OUT AND YOU CAN’T MAKE ME!”

“Ugh, Isa you’re giving me a migraine!” Landon groaned from the floor.

“You’re six, you don’t get migraines!” Camila shouted to the boy.

“Why does everyone hate me!” he shouted and rolled over so he was spread like a starfish on the floor.

Lauren watched as he flopped around on the floor and almost covered her ears when Camila began shouting at Bella. “ISABELLA JASMINE JAUREGUI IF YOU DON’T GET YOUR NARROW ASS OUT OF THAT CLOSET I’M GOING TO BEAT IT!”

“STOP YELLING AT ME!” she yelled back.

“AHHHH!” Camila screamed at the door at the top of her lungs.

“AHHHHHHHHH!” their daughter screamed right back in a higher pitched voice.

“Mami, what if we set the door on fire. Then Isa would come out right?” Lauren watched Landon look up at his mom who was holding the camera and then back away with his hands held up facing Camila. “Jeez, it was just an idea. You don’t have to give me the eye,” he mumbled and sat back down around the scattered sheets on the floor and picked up a crayon.

The camera flipped and Lauren was looking at her worked up wife again. “That’s it, I’m done. I’m leaving. HEAR THAT ISA? I GIVE UP, STAY IN THERE! I DON’T CARE!!!”