Mix Tapes

There she was, the tall, pale, green eyed cuban, sitting straight ahead, at the far back table with her friends. Wearing a red plaid button up and ripped jeans. She has the most perfect, long, dark hair in Miami High. It was almost like the gods scuplted it themselves. Her name is Lauren Jauregui and she literally looked like she just stepped off the stage of some indie rock band set. Every guy and girl swooned when she walked by. They all wanted to be able to be the one by her side. But that’s the only odd thing about her. No one has ever seen her with anyone.

“Camila. You’re practically drooling.” The tall Polynesian rolls her brown eyes. Camila however remains fixated on her prey. It’s only when Dinah Jane punches her friend on the shoulder that big brown eyes finally acknowledge her. “Really, Chancho, just go talk to her. It’s the end of the year anyway.”

Camila blinks wildly. She sinks back into the cafeteria chair. “Yeah right. She’ll kick my ass if anything. I’m safe over here.”

“You’re just being a pussy.” Dinah teases before shoveling a pile of meatloaf into her mouth, getting a bit on her letterman jacket.

“DJ, we’re in school! Watch your mouth.” The smallest friend slips into the chair beside the two. “Geesh.”

“Well it’s true.” Dinah shrugs.

Immediately Ally catches on. Her face begins to glow just like her golden long hair, as a grin appears. “Is it Laureeen?” she jabs Camila in the gut.

The tanned Cuban-Mexican pushes Ally’s hand away, wishing she’d melt into a puddle right here in the middle of the cafeteria. Her cheeks are red hot, standing out on her tanned skin.

“I think I have an idea.” Ally wiggles her thick brows. The other two friends look at her in wonder. Camila can already feel her stomach knotting. She knows Ally’s plans are almost always something cheesy.

-

“How do you get me into these kinds of situations, Ally?!” Camila hissed under her breath.

Somehow she let her bubbly friend convince her to sneak into the auditorium up top the catwalk where the school band practices for their concert. Miami High band students put on end of the year show as finals. Dinah and Ally are more of the sporty kind. Camila isn’t so athletic. Music is more of her thing. Right now only one student remained behind to get in extra practice.

“Shh!” Ally shoves a small finger to her lips. “Just watch. We’ll study Lauren and learn her likes and dislikes.”

“I bet she dislikes being stalked!”

“Shhh!”

“Who’s there?” The guitar suddenly stops strumming and a rough voice comes up from below the catwalk.

Ally and Camila quickly back away from the ledge. They exchange a look of horror. Both teens scurry over each other as they try to quickly and quietly crawl off the narrow catwalk. Making their way down the steps, they meet a pair of unimpressed green eyes.

“Can I help you?” Lauren stands at the bottom, arms crossed.

Ally speaks up first. “Um, no. We were just looking for my phone.” she digs her phone out from her jeans pocket then waves it. “See. Found it!”

The cuban remains unconvinced. And Camila attempts to hide behind her best friend. Which is barely working due to the noticeable height difference. Green eyes look up from the shorter girl to the one behind, wearing a bowtie at the base of her braid. Camila’s signature look.

“Well then leave. Rehearsals are closed.” Green eyes glare.

“Okay okay. Come one Camila!” Ally grabs the still stunned Latina, yanking her away from the love of her life.