Nightwatch

Lauren Jauregui surveyed the cityscape below her. Miami was relatively quiet tonight. It had been almost three hours since the last incident, and even that was just a drunk man publicly urinating.

The flying girl sighed as she soared around an office building. She was ready to stop by a convenience store to pick up a microwave dinner and call it an early night when a flickering light caught the corner of her eye.

She rapidly descended to the rooftop of a nearby building. Peering out over the edge, she located the source of the light and grinned. Apparently some industrious person had decided to take up late night arc welding. With an eager spring in her step she launched herself into the air and observed from a distance. It had been a slow night. She was going to have some fun with this one.

_______________________

“Dammit!”

Camila cursed and dropped the blowtorch on the ground as she quickly sucked on her tender finger. She made a mental note to yell at Ally for losing her gloves.

With a sigh, she picked up the torch and resumed cutting through the metal bars barricading the skylight. As if hauling the heavy equipment up ten flights of fire escapes wasn’t bad enough, she had to deal with possibly losing two or three of her most favorite fingers.

After few more minutes and a few more burns, the metal grate was finally cut through.

Exhausted, Camila gave the heavy bars a firm tug before she realized her mistake. The bars dropped onto the floor with a loud clatter, crushing her big toe in the process.

Camila bit her lip and clenched her fists, waving them wildly in the air as she hobbled around on one foot, desperately trying not to scream out in agony.

A soft chuckle carried through the air and went unheard by the limping girl.

When the numb-toed criminal had composed herself, she gingerly made her way back to the skylight.

Pulling out her glass cutter, she sliced a fist sized circle into the skylight and admired her work with a satisfied smile. Next, she took out a suction cup and pressed it firmly on the glass, only to watch the cut section pop out and tumble downwards, shattering loudly on the ground.

Camila felt herself blush in embarrassment and looked around guiltily. Recovering, she reached into one of her pockets and fished out a thin wire. Placing her hand and the wire through the hole in the glass, she worked the padlock open and swung the creaky panel open.

With a grunt, she tied one end of a thick nylon rope to a fixture embedded into the concrete on the floor and the other end to a large black duffel bag. She then hoisted the bag through the skylight with the utmost care and began lowering the bag down into the building.

Once the bag was on the ground, Camila cast a quick glance over her shoulders before she grabbed onto the dangling rope and kicked her legs over to begin her descent.

She was halfway down when the largest mosquito she had ever seen began hovering around her face. She shrieked and began swatting at the disgusting insect.

The grotesque bug, however, did not want to go away, and instead, chose to land on her cheek.

She let out a blood curdling scream swatted at her face.

With both hands.

As the mosquito drifted away carelessly, Camila suddenly found herself tumbling headfirst down to the ground. She continued screaming and tensed every part of her body as she felt the wind rush between her ears.

Oddly enough, through all the screaming, one overriding thought floated to the top of her thoughts. She was going to die a virgin.

Camila quickly found herself out of breath and took a deep breath before she continued her terrified scream.