Mother-Son Dance

On Monday after school, Alex Cabello-Jauregui entered his house with a request on his mind. He looks around in his living to find his 16 year old sister, Alyssa, sitting on the couch with a fry in her mouth and asks, “Hey, where’s mom and mom?”

Alex always feels weird asking for the whereabouts of his mothers because it’s just so weird finding the right names to call them. Mom and mommy is “just no” according to Alyssa who deems it babyish for a 13 year old boy to call one of his mother mommy; mom and Mother sounds way too formal; and mom and other mom is too laughable for them to even say without bursting out laughing at the end. So now they’re stuck with mom and mom which makes it really hard to distinguish who’s talking to who, but Alex always finds it hilarious when Alyssa gets frustrated when the wrong mom answers.

“Kitchen. They’re cooking together so you know it’s a lovefest in there.” Alyssa comments after finishing the fry that was previously in her mouth, and then reaches for a new one. “Cover your eyes before entering!” She shouts at him as he makes his way towards the kitchen.

As always, Alyssa’s right. He finds his mothers standing together near the kitchen island over the baking dish, giggling and talking about something he’s too far away to fully hear. They’re cooking lasagna so Camila’s arranging the noodles while Lauren prepares to top it with the cheese slices, meat, and sauce.

“Um, moms?” Alex asks timidly and Lauren turns his way to greet him.

“Hey, honey,”

“How was your day?” Camila adds cheerfully.

“Great, good. Um, I need to talk to you both about something.”

Lauren turns back to Camila and whispers, “Ooh, this sounds serious. You think it’s the girl talk?”

“I don’t know, but I’ve got the kitchen door open to make a run for it if it is.”

Laughing, Lauren turned back to her son. “Let us finish this and put it in the oven and then we’ll talk, kay?”

“Kay,”

Minutes later, the lasagna was under the oven and the two ladies went over to their son waiting patiently in front of the kitchen island.

“Alright,” Lauren started, drying her hand on a towel before tossing it on the island and slamming her palms on the surface. “Who is she? What’s her name? Are you sure you’re ready for this talk?!”

“Wait, wait,” Camila yells, going over to Lauren and pulling her arms to wrap around her waist. “Hold me, I don’t trust myself not to faint when he reveals her.”

What? Alex thinks and then audibly expresses it. “What?”

His mother’s laugh and Camila takes it upon herself to explain. “We’re joking, hon,” She says with a wave of a hand. “Now what’d you want to talk about.”

“Um…alright. So there’s this dance at the school…”

“And…” Lauren trails off and Camila jumps in with:

“Awweee, baby, is there a certain girl you want to ask?” His mother’s face is wide with a grin and Alex raises his brow at her blatant excitement.

With a shake of his head, he answers, “No,” and watches as his mother’s grin drops.

“Oh,” Camila says surprised, her eyebrows narrowing. “Is there a certain boy you want to ask?” She asks with a quirk of a brow and a hint of a smile. Once again, Alex shakes his head.

“No, I’m pretty sure there isn’t.”

Camila tilts her head up to Lauren. “Now I’m really confused – are you following this?”