I Love All of Your Pieces

”Open your eyes now

Open your eyes now

It’s time to see

If you can reach me”

Lauren was busy working in the kitchen of the fancy restaurant, in Miami, where she works, during the night shift, for a year now. She was helping prepare the desserts during the crowded night, working on the presentation of the elegant dishes when her phone started ringing in her white cooking double breasted jacket’s pocket. She shouldn’t even be with her phone in her pocket, let alone, look at it, so she left it buzzing. She didn’t pay much attention on it. It was probably just her mother calling her, thinking that she was on a day off from work, or maybe her girlfriend asking where she left her clothes, that she should have picked from the laundry. She left it buzzing.

She was so concentrated on her work that she didn’t even realized that the phone was still buzzing, minute after minute, nonstop.

“Jauregui.” she heard someone opening the double doors of the huge kitchen and looked to follow the male voice of the restaurant’s manager with her stare.

“Yes?” she asked after her gaze got back to her dishes.

“You have a call.” he said serious and she furrowed her brows. No one ever calls the restaurant to communicate with her.

“Alright.” she said and cleaned her hand, that had a small drop of melted chocolate, on a paper towel before following him to the restaurant’s saloon.

She got out the kitchen to face the crowded room, as always, and some people greeted her from distance, she’s known by the loyal costumers.

She got to his booth and he gave her the phone. She took it, still confused, and also grabbed her phone from her pocket, since she had the chance. Showing in the screen there were 23 missed calls.

“Hello?” she said, uncertain of who’s voice she would hear.

“Lauren…” Normani said with her voice clearly stuck on her throat.

“Yes, Mani?” she said and her look changed from confused to worried. “What happened?” she asked and she got even worried when Normani took a almost a minute to reply her.

“It’s… it’s… Camila, Laur.” Normani stuttered and didn’t say anything else. Lauren felt her heart going faster right away and she gulped, not really wanting to ask what about Camila.

“Wh… what… what happened to Camz, Normani?” she asked and her mind already started to imagine every worst scenario possible and her eyes got watery with any idea of her girlfriend not being fine.

“She… a car… crash.” Normani stuttered.

“What?” Lauren asked in shock and her heart tripped inside her chest, “How is Camila, Normani?” she asked with more conviction. Her friend was not helping her heart’s situation and she needed to know what was really happening.

“She was just going back home and he… he just crashed…” Normani answered, again not really filling Lauren questions with answers.

“Normani.” Lauren and closed her eyes, a lonely tear falling over her cheek, her head going crazy on the possibilities. “Where’s Camila, Normani?”

“She’s in the hospital.” Normani finally answered and Lauren gulped.

“Is she… is she…”

”She’s… she unconcious.”

“Which hospital, Normani?”

“South Miami Hospital.”