Cato Oneshot: Yours Forever

Requested by Mrs_Lefuason22 

(Cato POV)

       The sound of machines beeping was what woke me up. I groaned and sat up, opening my eyes seeing only white. Where am I? A plate of food sat next to me with a glass of water. I was on a bed and there were needles sticking out of my arm. My eyes widened when memories flooded back into my mind. Alex. My beautiful girlfriend who was with me in the arena. She saved me from those mutt things. Where was she? A woman walked into the room. I shot up, ripped the needles out of my arm and ran towards her. Her eyes widened and she looked at me fearfully. 

       "Have you seen a girl named Alex?! Dark brown hair, kinda tall, the most beautiful grey eyes ever seen?!" She shook her head quickly. I growled and ran out, but two large men caught me before I could go any further. I struggled against their grip.

       "Let go of me! I need to find my girlfriend!" But, then it dawned on me. The quarter quell. The blood rain. It all came back.

(Flashback)

      Alex and I ran through the forest, the blood rain pouring on us. She dodged trees and jumped over logs, while I followed closely behind. Alex tripped and fell into the mud. I picked her up and looked at her and laughed a bit. Her face was covered in mud. She playfully glared at me as the blood rain rinsed her face off. Even in all of this, I could still see her eyes. I smirked. Alex turned to the side when she heard a snap in the bushes. 

     "I'll be back," she said. I grabbed her arm quickly.

      "Wait! Be careful!" She giggled and kissed me.

       "I will. I love you, Cato."

       "I love you, too." Alex ran off into the bushes, disappearing from my view. I waited in the rain for a little bit. She was taking too long. I suddenly heard a gut wrenching scream that sent me sprinting towards the sound. Alex lay on the muddy forest floor, an axe sticking out of her back. Not being able to fight back the tears, I yanked it out of her back and threw it to the side. Alex didn't blink. Her grey eyes were hollow and lifeless. The blood seeping into my pants wasn't from the rain. I hugged her to my side, not caring about anything. Johanna stepped into view and picked up the axe. 

         "Sorry, kid. But, there can be only one winner."

(End of Flashback)

       Johanna was the reason she was gone. Johanna was the reason I'll never be able to see her again. Kiss her. Hug her. Hear her laugh or see her smile. The men let me out of the room about an hour later. I walked into a large dining room and saw a few people eating. Johanna sat in one of the seats. I glared at her. She only rolled her eyes. I sat across from her and picked up an apple. 

       "So, why did you do it?" 

       "Do what?"

       "Kill Alex?"

      "She came after me." I scoffed. 

      "Good story, Johanna, but in what chapter do you shut the hell up? I'd like to agree with you, but I wouldn't want to be wrong." She looked at me in slight shock, then glared. I stood up and started to walk out.

       "It's true Cato! She came after-." I cut her off.

      "Is your name Alex?" She shook her head slowly.

       "Then shut up." I walked out of the room and into an empty hallway. All I could think about was Alex. She may be dead, but she will always be my true love. 

       "I'm yours forever, sweetheart."