Finnick One Shot: Whatever Pretty Boy

Requested by pinkwitch269

OC name: Rachael

(Rachael's POV)

        I awoke the next morning to an Avox throwing open my curtains. I hissed at the sudden light and buried myself deeper under the covers. The Avox, Hannah, sighed, but came over anyway and lightly poked my in the shoulder to tell me that it was time to get up. Groaning, I waved my hand at her. 

       "Yeah yeah. Whatever. I'm up. Go away." I didn't see her leave, but the door clicked shut as she left. 5 more minutes passed and I swung my legs over the side of my bed and shuffled to my closet to grab clothes to wear. I lived in the Capital, but my clothes were pretty simple. I chose a dark pink sweater, skinny black jeans, and black high tops. I did my makeup and left the room to the kitchen. My adoptive mother, Effie was already there. 

        "Rachael! Good morning, darling!" I smiled. 

        "Morning," I said, sitting down. I put some food on my plate and started eating. 

       "Rachael, I need to tell you something," Effie said, folding her hands in her lap. I slowly looked up at her. 

       "You're getting a bodyguard today, dear." I choked on the piece of fruit I was eating. A bodyguard?! You've gotta be kidding me!

         "Wait what? Effie, you know I can handle myself! Remember last week?" Effie put her hand up and pinched the bridge of her nose. 

        "Yes yes I remember. Never ever do that again. But dear, this year's Hunger Games are very different. The tributes, more specifically...are different." I rolled my eyes. I HATED the Hunger Games. Effie made me watch every year and every year I always wanted to tear out my own eyes because I couldn't stand watching kids kill each other. 

         "Whaddya mean different?" Effie picked up and remote and turned on the TV behind her. It was the tribute name drawing...and I could see what she meant by...different. More than half of the boys were over the age of 15, muscular, and overly confident. They had all volunteered. I knew that they would be facing each other head on in the games and no doubt they wouldn't go down without a good fight. I gulped. 

        "Y-Yeah...I can see what you mean." Effie nodded and turned off the TV.

        "He's coming today. His name's Finnick Odair. You might remember him." I did. He was the 14 year old that had won the 65th Hunger Games. That was 8 years ago. I was 18 now, and he was 22. The rest of the morning, I sulked. Bodyguard. Blech, the word made me want to puke.\

        "Rachael! He's here!" I sat up in bed and walked out of my room and into the living room where Effie was with Finnick. He...wasn't that bad looking to be honest. Bronze hair, tanned skin, slim, yet muscular, and captivating sea-green eyes. I caught myself staring and mentally slapped myself. Finnick gave me a nice smile and I returned it. 

         "I'll leave you two to get acquainted," Effie said and scurried out of the room. The two of us stood silently. I awkwardly looked around the room and shifted my weight back and forth on my feet. 

        "Soooo...Rachael...right?" Finnick asked. I nodded.

       "Uuuh yeah."

       "Nice name."

       "Thanks." More silence. 

       "I guess I'm going to have to look after you when the tributes arrive?" I shrugged and moved to sit down on a couch.

       "That's what Effie said. Mainly because the boys who are coming are seriously brutal." Finnick chuckled and sat down across from me. 

        "Yeah she showed me the reaping video." The two of us talked a little more and I learned about his life in District Four. He has 4 dogs, has been swimming since he was 5, and has a best friend named Annie. He learned about my life in the Capital, too. He really wasn't a bad guy. 

         "Maybe having you as a bodyguard won't be so bad," I mumbled, playing with a strand of my hair. Finnick chuckled again. 

         "And maybe I can become more of a bodyguard to you later on, Princess." I felt my cheeks heat up and I looked away. 

        "S-Stop it." He laughed and leaned back on the couch cushions. 

        "Ah come on. You're gorgeous. I wouldn't mind getting to know you a little more." I only rolled my eyes in response.

        "Whatever, Pretty Boy."