Prologue

A light breath of wind blows softly across the thick green leaves of the darkened forest. Light from the crescent moon flickers down on a consuming night. It rests over the figures riddling the forest floor, creating dancing shadows. The silence allows creatures of the night to stalk on the softened soils. The mysteriousness under moonlight comes to life with vivid beauty and scare. This painted picture becomes disturbed by heavy breath and thudding footsteps.  

A dark figure hurries through the bashful forest ever into the darkening night. He is rushed for fear of being followed. The figure looks over his shoulder in a familiar cautious pattern. He manages to dodge the tree's defences despite this. Burdened with a purpose and secret to hold, the older gentleman drags his weight and basket. He knows that there would be unimaginable consequences if he were to fail his given purpose.

The man's dark blue cloak of velvet flaps and flows behind his fast footing. The sound of its fabric causes many night creatures to fall silent and listen cautiously.

Pushing through thick flora, the man reaches a clearing. His breath is ragged and heavy as he gets to his destination. A sigh of relief escapes his dry lips as he brings himself to a standstill. He takes a moment to regain his breath before continuing to the centre of the clearing. His form becomes engulfed by the pale moonlight.

He lowers, placing the basket he protected gently on the brown leaves. Pushing his long grey hair from his face, the man reaches into the basket. He pulls back the thick blankets to reveal the infinite newborn inside.

Wrapped in a deep sleep, the baby girl lies lifelessly with her small pale hand balled in a fist above her head. Her beaming blue eyes are tightly sealed in sleep. Brushing a light finger over her pink cheek, the man admires the sleeping newborn before him. Delicate bubbles begin to blow through her pale lips. Guilt bites at the older man's heart and mind as he reminds himself of the job that he was given. The commands and directions replay in his mind. He is reminded that defying these orders could mean death for him and the angel before him.

Voicing a soft I'm sorry, the man pulls the blankets back over the baby girl, patting the blanket softly. He reaches into his cloak, retrieving the note he was instructed to leave with the infinite. Looking around the shadowy forest, the man places the message atop the basket. He knows that eyes are watching him that he can't see.

Standing, the older man takes in a shaky breath, closing his eyes to will himself to walk away. Before he can change his mind, he rushes to follow his footsteps back in the direction he came. Cautious eyes watch the basket from a safe distance, its contents unknown. The forest remains as still as before the older man's arrival. His distant footsteps and breaths disappear into the night.

The people hiding in the dense flora begin to emerge from the darkness. They keep their distance as they near the basket. A man draped in cream cloak steps from the group. He nears the basket with caution but curiosity. Leaning down on one knee, the druid man reaches into the basket carefully. He pulls back the blankets with ease. Shock and confusion riddles the druid's face as he sees the baby resting inside. He motions for the others to join him, communicating with no words. He grasps the note rested upon the blankets.

After reading the note, considering each word, the man finds his mind confused. Yet, his eyes widened in surprise. A druid woman takes the baby girl in her arms, admiring her beauty in astonishment at her abandonment. Having read the note over twice, the druid man turns to the others. His mind opens to the information left with the infinite, clear instructions.

"She's coming with us", he declares aloud. The other druids look to him questionably. "Edythe is coming with us."