Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice

Not much has happened in the time of Arthur's absence. I've found doing nothing quite strange, considering I'd usually be on the road working. I became so restless that I joined Gwen in most of her choirs, giving her a hand sometimes despite her protests. I think she enjoyed the company, though.

Of course, there were times when I couldn't be around Gwen, so I'd try to be with Merlin. Though he couldn't have me tagging along all the time either as a servant himself, so instead, I found comfort from Gaius. My throat has healed much faster than I would have thought with his help. His talents are beyond anything I've ever witnessed. The bruise is now a vibrant range of yellows and greens, but I can frequently speak.

Gaius has been very welcoming, like everyone else here so far. He has wished me no ill will, but for some reason, when he thinks I'm not looking, he'll be closely observing me. It is as if he is trying to figure something out, with no hatred in his face, only curiosity. When I tried confronting him about it, Gaius dismissed it as "You look so alike to someone I once knew, that is all."

I chose not to press further, unsure if it would be my place to ask the person he speaks of. I know there's more to his stare that he won't tell me, but I chose to push the thought to the side. I don't want to ruin the relationship I've already built with the physician.

I sit on the edge of a table in Gaius' chambers and workplace. I watch fondly as the Physician works on a medicine for a man in the lower town. He mixes disgusting looking substances while grinding some herbs into thin layers. I swing my legs, hands firmly on the table's edge, as I peer over Gaius' shoulder to observe his talents further.

"I heard the King has finally found time to assist you", Gaius states, his eyes never once removed from his task.

"Yes, well, I hope so, at least. Gwaine said Arthur's been busier than usual. So I may still have to wait more time," I answer, my hopes still not high for the meeting with Arthur.

If I ever can't spend time with Gwen, Merlin or Gaius, my last source is the training grounds where I know I'm bound to find one of the knights. Strangely enough, I've begun to like the four knights that I have gotten to know whilst in Olaf's kingdom, all very welcoming to me. However, I've discovered Leon is still wary, and he's not so welcoming as the others, yet still, I don't mind his company. The Knight is good to be around when you want maturity.

On the other hand, Gwaine has become a close friend despite being the most immature. Though I wouldn't tell him that or else all hell will break loose, and I'll never get a moment of peace. Elyan and Percival are the calmer of the four, good at giving advice and helping me escape Gwaine if necessary.

"Arthur speaks highly of you. I'm sure he'll find the time", Gaius offers, now putting the herbs into the liquid boiling above a small fire.

"If he is unsure what to do with you, tell Arthur I wouldn't mind a new assistant. Merlin means well, and he tries very hard, but even he can't do everything," Gaius continues. He now hurries across the room to fetch a book.

I slide off the table. "An assistant?"

"You already have a keen eye for herbs, and I won't deny that I enjoy your presence" Gaius admits, his eyes now on me with a gentle smile. "I think you have potential, Edythe. I'm glad Arthur has seen it too. Camelot would benefit from someone like you."

With Gaius' words, I begin to have a recollection of what Ivo had said in the stone and Olaf's last farewells to me. Everyone seems to see this potential in me, but I don't know why. I'm trying to change for my good, and I'm grateful that so many people want to give me a chance, but is this potential just something they want to see? Or do I have so many possibilities for the future?