Chapter 6: Cellmates

The silence of the cell becomes eerie and unwelcoming. Reality is hitting, knowing that Arthur and his men won't be able to convince the people, or Olaf for that matter, that a warlock is controlling the King's decisions. I'd still be hung at dawn, nothing could change that, and I accept that, but I am only human after all—the irony.

Gwaine and Merlin promised me their return, but I know the odds of that. I know those two would only honour their word, having presented that as their nature over the short time I've known them. But time is short, not enough to convince a king otherwise of execution.

Lost in my thoughts, the sound of shuffling feet echoes through the hallways outside my cell. My eyes shoot up to the tiny barred window, the outside world still shadowed in the moonlight. It's not my time yet.

With this revelation, I crane my neck over my shoulder. I catch sight of dark shadows, Olaf's knights fighting against two figures who fight against their captors. Groans and yells of protest now fill my cell as I watch in shock at the scene before me.

A knight emerges from the chaos leaping for the cell door, jamming a silver key into the keyhole rushed, pushing the door open so forced it hits the stone wall with a bang. This triggers my limbs to spark into action. I jump to my feet, and back to the wall so quickly the Knight almost doesn't notice my presence. A concerned expression crosses his face as he searches the dark cell, relief washing over him as he catches my figure in the corner.

The Knight leaps to the side as the hustle of men moves toward the cell door. I can't make out who they try to throw in the cell through the chaos of chainmail and bodies. After a long commotion, the first figure is chucked into the cell, hitting the ground with a loud thud, a groan escaping his mouth. I lean right up against the stone wall as I watch on in shock and confusion.

The second figure stumbles into the cell, his oversized silhouette towering as he regains footing. The cell door slams shut, the sound echoing through the cell as the lock is clicked shut. Olaf's Knights curse and throw a few insults at the two figures before disappearing. The cell is again taken by silence, the sound of heavy breathing bouncing off the dark walls as the two men before me regain their strength.

I only now notice the chainmail on their bodies, the faint light glaring off the metal mesh. The figure on the ground pulls himself up into a crouch, his long dark hair falling over his face. I squint my eyes, trying to get a better look at the two men, but the room's darkness makes it hard to focus. I stand stiff in the corner, not knowing who these two men are and what they're capable of doing. Not to mention I'm locked in a cell with them, and the guards have no care for their prisoners...

"Edythe", the tall figure states out of breath, his voice familiar. "It's okay. It's only us."

I tilt my head to the side in a confused manner as I try to place a face to the voice. His choice of words is weird, considering I don't know who 'us' is.

"Says the big scary guy", a voice too annoying to forget teases. Gwaine. Which then makes me realise Percival is the owner of the other. I let out a loud breath I didn't realise I was holding in.

"I was just clarifying that we're not going to hurt her, Gwaine", Percival's voice replies with an annoyed tone.

"It's not us Edythe has to worry about."

"Yes, that's why I was clarifying."

"But there's no need to clarify."

"Seriously, Gwaine, we've just been arrested, and that's what you want to fight me about?"

"Sorry, I had a thought-"

"Well, keep your thoughts to yourself!"

"Don't get your braies in a twist!"