Chapter 25: Second Chances

Life in Camelot went on. There has been the occasional disruptions, the knights thirsting for an adventure. Much of everything remained normal, everything beyond Camelot seemingly a distant memory. Weeks went by, my knowledge of herbs and remedies becoming my life, my job. Assisting Gaius was my calling, finally allowing me to feel accepted and familiar with myself. I love my new occupation, and I am glad I had the chance to foresee it.

Along with the knowledge of Merlin's secret came the understanding of what goes on around Camelot. Much that was unanswered was now easy to understand. Although I had personally given up magic a long time ago, it felt like a breath of fresh air to have Merlin around. It felt great to have something so familiar in this new life.

Somehow, I feel that witnessing Merlin's magic reminds me of the love I once had for it. Knowing he uses it for good makes me proud. I feel more connected to magic by watching and helping Merlin excel in his gifts. There is no need to touch my gift, simply sharing my knowledge with another is enough.

Gaius and Merlin were now able to tell me everything. Elyan had found himself possessed by an evil, which I was shocked to learn and more than happy to help contain. Although Arthur doesn't know about Merlin's gift, he thankfully believes in Merlin enough to help retrieve Elyan. The poor knight had no memory of much that happened.

Merlin and Gaiusassured me that is nothing out of the usual for Camelot. I will get used to the many magical attacks on Camelot, many of which Arthur would never know of. There wasn't much I could do to help with Elyan except to research with Gaius and provide as much knowledge to Merlin as possible.

We were very fortunate that all went according to plan and that Elyan was returned to us safely. The spirit found peace and moved on. Although I could do little, knowing such events was enough for me. To be helpful even in just studying and reassuring Gaius in Merlin's absence appears to be an excellent experience for me.

Other than that minor incident, most remained the same. Arthur and I strengthened our relationship and finally felt a part of each other's lives. Agravaine hasn't taken the same notion, but that doesn't matter to me. Still not keen on the whole princess idea. I've become accustomed to it. We accept it enough to refer to Arthur as brother and him to call me sister.

We have shared many rides, something I never realised I found a fun, freeing experience until now. We try to make this part of our schedule, but Arthur has many meetings. Most nights, we share dinner, a time for us to reflect on each other's day.

Arthur tries to invite Agravaine, but somehow our uncle seems always to have plans and cannot join us. Sketchy, in my opinion. It's not surprising as the man appears untrustworthy.

To say I'm surprised to be enjoying this laid-back lifestyle is an understatement. Like in my herbal and medicine studies, I have grown to look forward to my time with Arthur. Perhaps it is a feeling that we are finally catching up to that lost time. I couldn't imagine my life being any different anymore, Camelot being my home and many of its people now my family.

I now stand, much like Agravaine, to Arthur's side. I never thought I'd want to be a part of the council, but somehow Arthur had convinced me. It's rare for a woman in this time to be a part of a council, so that had me sold enough. I do enjoy the idea of having some sway in what goes around here and always knowing what's happening to never be in the dark. I also didn't want to let Arthur down, intending to be his confidant as I've promised.

Once I would have laughed at the offer, but I am not the same person I was before.

I stand by Arthur's throne, waiting for the king to arrive after he called a council meeting. We all wait patiently, expecting this to be a usual prep talk of pressing matters. Many discussed things almost bore me to death half the time, but somehow, I manage to compose myself.