Chapter 5: Condemned

I've lost my chance, and there's no way I'll have another one now. For the first time in a very long time, I'm genuinely frightened for myself. It's so easy to be emotionless and heartless on the outside, but deep down, it's eating me.

I've never feared death because I've always had a backup plan, even over the last few days, being cocky and stubborn. I've lost my one chance, and now I'm going to die.

By chance, I ran into Olaf's Kingdom and found that there was a morning patrol. I never stood a chance.

Iseldir couldn't have been more wrong telling me to stay. I never thought of him to be like this, to betray me like this. Perhaps this was his way of teaching me a lesson for all the trouble I've caused him. I'll admit, I deserve it, but I never thought Iseldir would have it in him to do this to anyone. He's the last person I would have guessed to be my bane.

Olaf's men drag me down the hallways as I have no strength left in me to fight. Arthur and his men follow close behind us as we all descend further into the darkened castle. It's changed over the short time I've been gone. It's curious, but my mind is too clouded to care. Why should I whilst I wonder how long I have left to live? Hours? Minutes?

Is this what defeat feels like?

We reach the tall wooden doors, their shadow creating a feeling that no time has passed. A shiver runs down my spine. Oh, how Edythe would laugh at this girl for being so weak, unable to see herself in the situation. That's why I've never been afraid, not like this. This is karma coming after me for my heartlessness and decisions in life.

The doors creak open, revealing the King sitting upon his throne. The cloaked figure stands to his left, and Lady Vivian is seated to his right. The hall is unchanged compared to the rest of the castle, full of who I could only presume to be the council. They all look as miserable as me, eyes hollow and tired.

The two knights drag me across the hall, my knees probably bleeding scraped. They throw me to the ground in front of the King, the slap of me hitting the floor echoing through the hall. The hard-stone base hits my side, sending pain through my aching body. A cry escapes my lips as I slide along the floor. I lay still in an awkward position on the floor, taking in deep breaths from the impact.

"Arthur!" Olaf greets. I hear his weight shift from the throne. "It has been some time. My condolences for your Father...he leaves a strong legacy behind."

"Thank you dearly, Olaf", Arthur's voice thanks from behind me. "He often reminded me of Camelot's allegiance with your grace."

"And still it lives on! Thank you, Arthur, for returning this vermin to face the justice she deserves."

I fight back a snicker, choosing to use this newfound energy to pull myself up onto my knees. I glare up at the king with dark eyes. I imagine it as an empty notion in my defeated, pitiful state.

"Of course. We have always had an understanding, and I will always do what I can to help my allies", Arthur assures. "My help is always open to you and the Lady Vivian", Arthur bows his head over to the Princess.

She appears tense, which is weird for her. I always thought her to be the most stuck up, obnoxious being I've ever met, but she hasn't spoken a word for some reason. She looks very pale. She is frightened almost, though I couldn't say of what. Her eyes fall to me as if my gaze is less intimidating than Arthur's.

Pure fear floods in her dark blue eyes, a pleading notion behind them. It's as though she wishes to voice something but is in grave danger if to say so. This, once again, confuses me.

"And to that, we are grateful, Arthur" Olaf extends his hand. His eyes now fall to me, a smug smirk on his lips as he sees me in such a horrid state. "So we meet again, Edythe" I glare up at the King, unable to bring words to talk in my anger. "How the mighty have fallen."