Chapter 7: Allies?

I drag my feet behind me as I trek behind the two determined Knights, their pace too fast for my liking. The terrain appears to be only getting worse as we venture to the west, where Arthur and the rest of his knights are bunking down. With the harsher terrain, that means Olaf's men won't be lurking in these parts. No man in their right mind would want to go through here! But one could argue we are being hunted and are not in our right minds.

We've come close to being spotted twice now. It doesn't give me much faith in Percival, who has taken control, not that Gwaine is complaining. We've been lucky, though, having caverns, boulders and valleys to hide in. I enjoy the silence, something that is rare for Gwaine. This journey gave me time to regain my emotional state and spirit.

The night approaches us, the forest becoming dark green in the sun's absence. The birds begin to nest down, letting out their last cries for the day. Orange, purple and pink flood the sky in waves, turning the forest into an eerie mass of tall silhouettes. With the darkness comes a freezing wind and a drop in temperature. The breeze bites at my exposed skin with my ripped shirt, causing an aggressive shiver to take over my limbs.

I curse as I trip over a root, stumbling a few steps. "Only a little further, I can feel it", Percival assures soon after I complain.

"That's what you said an hour ago", I grumble, rubbing my arms to try and create some warmth.

"Distance and time are measured in different lengths."

Just as tired and annoyed as me, Gwaine mumbles, "And that's what you said last time Edythe complained."

"You two act like children", Percival grunts back, climbing over a large log tilted on a hill.

"I appreciate that's how you still see me after all this time", Gwaine groans, only just managing to pull himself over the log.

I let out a defiant groan of annoyance as I reach the log, being half of its height. If I could, I'd choose to go around, but I know that means more walking than necessary. All I want right now is to lay down and have a good sleep.

I rest my right foot on one of the log's branches, heaving myself up. Gwaine leans over from the top, offering me his hand, which I took gratefully. Pushing off the branch and Gwaine pulling my arm, I'm hoisted up over the log and to the top of the hill.

Percival's figure has already disappeared further ahead, having not waited for the two of us. We both groan in unison as we hurry after the tall knight. The moon is now overhead, sending a dancing white light over the green plantation. The dense forest begins to clear, the moonlight becoming more intense as we reach a clearing. Percival stops to navigate for a moment, although he won't do much in the night.

"Are we lost, faithful leader?" Gwaine taunts in a mimicking tone.

"No", Percival objects. "It's this way", he adds, pointing into the forest, scurrying off into the woods again.

I begin to feel like a whining child as I reluctantly follow the Knight. Gwaine decides to stick with me, also over our adventure. "If we split up, I'm going with you", Gwaine counters, glaring at Percival's back.

I begin to regret choosing to stay with this party when I could have disappeared into the night a free woman. I judged that sticking with these guys was my best option for survival. I also feel I have to help them as they did save my life, which I am grateful for. I'm a firm believer in an eye for an eye.

Percival comes to an abrupt stop, throwing his hands up to signal us to stop. Alert, Gwaine jumps in front of me, as if I couldn't look after myself, in a defensive stance. I peek out from behind Gwaine, Percival hitting away what looks like a sword with the back of his hand. He grips onto its owner hidden behind a tree. Percival raises his fist, pausing mid decent to the man's face.