Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom

Third Person P.O.V.

Arthur watches anxiously whilst Merlin works to stop Edythe's leg and shoulder from bleeding. His sister has begun to turn an unnatural pale blue. Merlin had been worried by Edythe's actions, choosing to run away with such wounds. It hadn't surprised the servant when she blacked out from blood loss.

Arthur had been a stricken mess ever since, praying for Edythe to pull through. He blamed himself for all that had occurred.

The knights have kept themselves busy, collecting firewood, attending to the horses and securing the perimeter. They try their hardest not to check up on Edythe too often, knowing Merlin needs to concentrate on the task at hand. Percival forced Gwaine off to collect water, the Knight being too concerned for Edythe, getting on everyone's nerves. Leon appears just as worried as Gwaine, doing a better job at containing his emotions. He silently checks in every so often.

It hadn't taken Arthur long into the journey before he told his closest knights the reason for Edythe's leaving. All were shocked, Arthur still coming to with the concept himself. The King made it clear why he had to find and bring her home, which the others easily understood. Elyan noted the specious resemblance that everyone noticed but chose to ignore.

The night prior made sense to Leon, Edythe's words are replaying in the knight's mind. No matter how many times he apologised to Arthur for letting her leave, and no matter how many times Arthur reassured him, Leon still felt guilty. Because of this, Leon was usually at the head of the group, determined to find Edythe and reassure Arthur.

No one could say why Edythe had chosen to leave. They had as many questions as Arthur, wanting to know why she had chosen against staying, to know her brother. There were many questions they asked Arthur, who couldn't say, as he would like answers himself.

Arthur has so many questions, even watching as life wisps away from her in front of him. The thought of losing someone he has barely got to know pains him beyond imagination. He wishes to have one last connection, any connection with his parents.

The King's eyes are drawn from Edythe as Merlin stands with a loud sigh. The servant looks tired and worn from worry.

"Is she going to be okay?" Arthur asks, his voice sounding out of place after the long silence.

"I...I don't know," Merlin answers in a low voice, shoulders slump. "I've done everything I can...but I'm not sure-" he cuts mid-sentence, the pained expression on Arthur's face speaking a thousand words. "I'm not sure she'll make it through the night...."

Arthur lets out a breath of air he didn't realise he had been holding, tears glistening his eyes. His eyes fall on Edythe, pale but sleeping soundly. Arthur grinds his teeth, feeling the emotions hit his heart hard. The image of his father dying in his arms crosses his mind. Merlin doesn't say a word, passing the King to refresh and find some herbs that might help. Might.

Gwaine enters the camp, catching sight of Arthur, who slowly falls to his knees by Edythe. Tears silently fall down his face as he takes his sister's hand in his own. The firewood falls to Gwaine's feet, catching everyone's attention. All eyes follow Gwaine's gaze, all feeling the pain reach out to their hearts.

Gwaine turns to venture back into the forest, overtaken with denial, refusing to accept what lies behind him. Anger pulses through him, causing the knight to kick away stone. Elyan quickly follows the Knight, hoping to calm him down.

Percival and Leon take a seat by the fire already started, heads hung low as the atmosphere takes over everyone's emotions and thoughts.

Amidst the grief, no one notices the figure creeping through the forest in a swift elegant motion. The figure almost seems a part of the forest itself. He enters the camp without a single word. His gaze falls on the pale woman whose life holds on by a thread. Glancing up, Percival notices the older man, jumping to his feet defensively, sword in hand. Leon follows in pursuit, the two alert of this new figure.