Chapter 4: You Can Run

The knights return to their perky attitudes and chatter on the road again. They probably feel more confident with their King insight. It could also be that they now know I'm a trickster.

They continue throwing their insults and jokes, Arthur even joining. This confuses me. I'm used to kings being more authoritative towards their men, maybe close with one or two, but not a group like this. Arthur blends in as though he is a knight, appearing a close friend with each of his men. Even the servant, Merlin, joins the games.

Merlin is slim and pale, yet he doesn't look unhealthy. He looks weak, not a fighter, but there's something about him that has my mind fixed. He has a presence about him putting me on edge–it's annoying me. He's a simple servant. How could he have an aura that's affecting me? I try to recall if I've ever crossed paths with him, but my mind has nothing to confirm, this only agitating me further.

Apart from that annoyance, the fork in my sleeve rubs against my flesh, proving an actual pain in the arse. I've reached out to adjust it many times, making sure no one is looking when I do. I can feel a mark begin to form on my wrist, making me curse at myself for not putting it in a better spot.

Eventually, we stop for a pitstop, allowing me to stretch my legs for a moment. I know this isn't my chance. I need to create some form of trust even now. Arthur has ordered I'm always watched by two knights, so another knight will take me down if I try anything. I'll have to choose my time carefully and wait for the weakest link.

Arthur and Leon discuss routes away from ears shot. Since observing my tendencies, they have taken precautions not to discuss plans before me. Gwaine and Elyan keep watch on me while Merlin tends to Percival's wound, putting a new bandage on it. I watch on curious, the cut not looking anywhere as bad as it did yesterday. While Merlin finishes up, Percival looks my way, almost as a way of reminding me I was the one who did it. I duck my head down behind Elyan's shoulder.

"We should get moving. Get as far as possible before we need to stop at nightfall," Arthur orders, he and Leon now amongst the group.

We're off on the road again. This journey seems to be taking forever as we shuffle along, my need for escape getting worse. I contain the edge, so I don't act irrationally, losing my one chance. It's not easy doing this, though. The men return to their conversation, of which I channel out. Tonight seems like my best bet of escape.

"What kind of thief steals a tavern sign?" Percival bursts into laughter, the others in hysterics. This sudden outburst catches my attention.

"Hey, that was a good night! Drinks on the house!" Gwaine defends, hand raised in protest. "I only stole the sign because...well, I couldn't tell you. I can't remember!" he now chuckles at his stupidity.

Between giggle fits, Merlin manages to state, "You stole the sign because drinks were on the house."

"Of course. No one in their right mind would steal a tavern sign," Elyan adds.

"I wonder if anyone could top that?" Percival states. With that one statement, it's as though I suddenly exist again. All eyes fall on me as if I'm the best person to answer Percival's question. Then I remember–I am the best person to ask.

"Go on, Edythe", Leon chuckles, nudging me with his elbow.

I liked it better when I was treated like I wasn't here.

My eyes glance over at Percival, a glint of annoyance in my eye that he's roped me into this conversation. I can tell he was simply trying to continue the conversation to tease Gwaine, not meaning to direct things to me. I'm not in the mood to fuel their amusement, not that I ever would be. Nor do I wish to confess to more crimes that I have committed before the King. He will surely tell my executioner any details to increase my sentence. Not that I'm sure one could top a death sentence...