Chapter 2: Company of Knights

When signing up to be a thief, you have three simple rules. Rule one: Don't trust anyone, never turn your back. No one is your friend. Rule 2: Don't get caught. That way, you don't die. And Rule 3: Don't screw up rules 1 and 2. For years, I've been able to follow these rules, and I've been very good at them too. So how the hell did I manage to break all three in under 24 hours?

Upon capturing and identifying me, the knights returned to their camp. They packed quickly, proud that they caught me in record time. They sound pleased with their efforts and the simple job they were given. With that newfound energy, the knights had packed and shipped out on their horses in no time. There has been no time to devise an escape plan.

I ride on the rear of a chestnut horse with a face of pour disgust. The tall, muscular knight, Percival, I believe, is at the front.

By listening to the conversations around me, I have observed their names. That's when they aren't making petty jokes that are so bad it's enough to roll your eyes so far back into your skull they'll never come back. At the head of the group is Leon, the presumed leader, followed by Elyan, his nature much more relaxed, possibly Leon's second. And last of all is Gwaine, the childlike fool of the group, no doubt.

Observing, as I do with most people, Percival is off-balance, swaying with the horse's every movement. He's probably more suited to fight on foot rather than horseback. Leon has obscenely good posture giving me the impression he has cat-like reflexes. Noted. Elyan tends to fidget a lot, quick reflexes, I imagine. Gwaine, once again, is childlike, more relaxed and less official than the others. Despite that, I notice his hand returning to his sword, meaning he must have been raised with a sword in hand. A second arm of sorts. Noted.  

They seem to joke and tease each other all the time. I've never understood or cared to understand the bond between knights. I suppose one could argue I am a thief with no immediate family or friends so that I wouldn't understand.

The group doesn't say anything to me, to which I'm not complaining. That's the way I like it. They almost act as though I'm not here and it's a typical day. Which makes me wonder how common it is to have someone caught and roasted in Camelot?

I suppose I've had this coming for some time now. A life of petty thievery and sketchy dealings isn't considered civil. Any average person would try to bunk down, get married, have a life. But I'm not most people. It wouldn't matter, I've always been an outcast, and it seems I'm destined to die one.

I guess I don't fear death. I just don't fancy it. I mean, who does? But my point is, I've seen this day coming for a while. I just didn't expect it to be so soon in my young life. I've learnt to conceal emotions, though, a useful tool in situations that most people would crack under pressure.   

As I'm lost in mind wonder, a thought pops into my head. With the realisation coming down on me, I feel my spirits already return. Jiggling my leg a little, not so much to alert Percival. I wince as there's a prick on my ankle. A smile creeps onto my lips with the clarification.

The knights must have forgotten to check me over thoroughly. My dagger is still hidden in my boot. With the opportunity in mind, I have already devised a plan. If I can get my hands on that, I'll be able to cut the ropes and make a run for it or just stab a knight if I must. Either way, I'm out of here.

I return to the disgusted and annoyed persona. "May we stop?"

"Why?" Leon demands, his voice quickly turning from perky to annoyance. Remembering my presence is like a sour taste on his day. This alone makes me feel like I've accomplished something, and I haven't even done anything yet.

"Why? Well, that's a stupid question. To site see." Leon raises an eyebrow at my comment, confused. "No, stupid, I need to pee", I snap, glaring at the knight.