Chapter 1: Misfortune

The air hangs thick in consuming darkness, my lungs burning for whatever oxygen they can get. The distant howls of shouting and chaos bounce off the stone valley, its green mossy walls keeping the sound in its clutches. My heavy breath blocks out most of the noise from my ears. I try to focus on the sounds of loud thudding feet behind me. I turn to look back, flickering of lit touches entering the valley. My eyes turn back to what lies ahead as I try to get as much distance as possible between Olaf's men and me.   

When I had decided to work for the King, I didn't think of the repercussions that would follow. I've been smart about making deals with my clients many times before. None have been able to double-cross me, and I've been too slippery and careful. At the time, it didn't occur to me our agreement was too good to be true, and in the end, it was.

The knights thunder after me but don't get the distance they need to catch up to me. I flee into the dense forest, preparing for the dangerous night ahead. The leaves crunch under my feet, echoing through the ocean of trees. I curse under my breath, knowing I can't run forever but can't leave without my belongings. Being a new moon, it's almost impossible to see anything. It could make my escape harder, but it may also work in my favour.

King Olaf seemed like an honourable man. Perhaps that is why I decided to help him. Or maybe it was the desperation. He had pleaded for me to help his daughter, the willingness to do anything that drew me in. I wouldn't say I'm a sympathiser. I've never been the kind to let my emotions control me. Something about the bond between the Father and Daughter intrigued me. 'Do this, and I will grant you everlasting freedom and our protection.' It's funny how one statement can bend a person's will to do almost anything for the other. And he was good at it. Too good.

I steer and change my direction, hoping my instincts will succeed me. The shouting knights become distant, giving me some relief as I reach the dead hollow tree where I had hidden my belongings. Stumbling as I come to an abrupt stop, I rip off the bark, hiding my stuff in the trunk. I rip out my leather bag, chucking it over my shoulder as I dive for my daggers, quiver and bow.

Hearing the knights approaching again, I jump to my feet. I start to jog while adjusting and place my belongings in their usual positions. Once they are all in place, I begin to sprint ever more into the forest.

I feel like I have been running for hours, my leg muscles burning like hell fury. My pace is beginning to slow, but thankfully, I can no longer hear the knights. They'll patrol throughout the night, but I can't keep going. I need to stop and rest.

I bring myself to a stride, navigating the forest as I track through its challenging terrain. I come across a large, strong tree, deciding this will be my resting place tonight. I rub my sweaty hands on my thighs before gripping the bark and climbing up the tree like a squirrel.

The tree isn't well covered, meaning that I'll be vulnerable in the daylight, but for now, as I rest, it will do. I find myself the strongest-looking branch to perch myself on for the night.

Earlier...

Two knights escort me through the twisting halls of the castle. Our hurried footsteps echo off the stone walls, my confidence forcing a smirk to my lips. We approach the great hall–its wooden doors standing high above us. The two guards at the entrance pull open the towering wood. The two knights escorting me come to a halt, gesturing for me to enter.

As I cautiously enter, the doors groan to a close behind me. The hall falls silent, my footsteps echoing as I move.

I approach the throne with my arms crossed. I observe the tall stone hall with many artistic archways. I stop by the empty wooden throne standing so sturdy and authoritative in the centre of the rear wall. A crest I never cared to find the meaning of hangs over the throne—many smaller versions of it on cloth scattered along the hall's walls.