Chapter 23: Betrayal

I'm not disappointed by the next stage of the jousting. The action has become more violent than I remember being told. It makes the event more exciting and concerning executively. Men have been thrown to high heaven, beaten and hit down to the ground left and right. I know for a fact I'll be helping Gaius treat many of the men who come out of the joust today.

One by one, the men fall, and there's a new victory. The more the event continues, I begin to fall back into wondering what the point of all this needless injury is for. I must remind myself that the traditions here are different and that I should respect that. I wasn't raised here, so of course, I don't understand.

I'm not overly fazed by the men being mowed down by their friends, at least not until my close friends are up. I cringe when Elyan is frown off his horse, his body pounding to the ground, sand disbursing around him. Gwen looks on with concern, both of us overcome with relief when Elyan walks off with nothing but a couple of scratches.

I cringe when Gwaine is taken down on his round. I don't feel too sorry for the knight, though. Gwaine talked a good game last night, only making his loss more amusing. The knight gives me a knowing glance, rolling his eyes as he sees my smirk. I'm going to give him hell for that, and he knows it.

The stranger, Lancelot, wins yet another joust, having won against all opponents. I've heard from many people that he's one of the best knights Camelot has ever known. He has lived up to that reputation so far.

I haven't personally spoken with the knight, but somehow, I have a funny feeling. I can't shake a sense of warning about him. I don't know what it means. Every time I look at Gwen, she seems taken by his presence. She enjoys having him back and is genuinely pleased for his victories...maybe even more than Arthur's. I try to push any intrusive thoughts away for the sake of my friends.

I shift in my seat as Arthur is introduced to the crowd again, cheers heard across the ring. Gwen seems less excited about his introduction than she has in the earlier rounds. This confuses me, but I remind myself that I'm not too keen either on unnecessary violence.

Leon is then introduced to the crowd, arriving on his horse. Realising the pair, I shuffle in my seat, both concerned and curious. I'm concerned as I hope neither of them gets too injured, mainly Leon as I know Arthur has been performing at his best for Guinevere. Yet, I'm curious as both men are very skilled fighters, this being an even fight as far as I can tell.

The two men charge one another at full speed, lances in hand. The two approach one another, Arthur's lance contacting Leon's chest faster than Leon's lance can reach Arthur. The knight falls backwards off his horse in a somersault. I cringe, leaning forward with gritted teeth to see if Leon is okay, my heart thumping in my chest.

The crowd cheers for Arthur, my hands lightly clapping for the King as I watch a servant help Leon to his feet. The knight nods to Arthur as he rides past, Leon giving a broad smile to the crowd despite his loss. He waves to Gwen and me, the two of us sharing a glance as he is escorted off the ring.

Gwen shuffles in her chair awkwardly, as if uncomfortable. "A-um-interesting last couple of rounds."

"The final will be a sight to see", Agravaine adds, amused.

Lancelot and Arthur are set as the final remaining two, meaning they will verse one another in the final. Once again, I don't know what will come, knowing that the two have been outstanding competitors so far.

Lancelot and Arthur acknowledge the crowd as they both enter the ring on their horses. Lances. are handed to them as they share a competitive glance. Gwen and I share a glance also, both uncertain about the match.

The flag goes up, declaring the joust commence. The servant bolts out of the ring as both men charge down the ring, raising their lances as they near one another. There's a loud clang of metal on metal as both men hit their opponent. The crowd all let out howls of suspense as both manage to stay on their horses.