Chapter 12: Camelot

Gwen strolls beside me, escorting me through the square after the Castle. I found memorising the Castle easy as I often had to do in most places when escaping or stealing. I didn't say that to Gwen, though, knowing that might not be an excellent start to this new positive life ahead. Gwen doesn't allow me to do much talking as she talks about her home, something I can tell she takes pride in. I also note that I'm still supposed to be resting my voice, thus why she isn't allowing me to speak.

My bruise slowly turns green and yellow, marks of fingers still evident in the darkest points of my neck. I stand out from the crowd being new and a past criminal, the bruise not helping.

I haven't seen Arthur and probably won't for a while as his absence has caused a pile of paperwork. That annoys me as I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in the meantime. I hadn't thought this far ahead when accepting the offer of living in Camelot. I don't know what I'm trying to achieve other than normality. That's if 'normal' is even possible.

Gwen leads the way down the street full of stores I can see from the window of my room, the colour even more vibrant up close. I'm not surprised when Gwen gets a wave of greetings, already knowing well enough that she's a likeable kind of woman. She admires some of the beautiful fabrics on the stools, which I even could admit are stunning.

As probably known to many, I'm not like other women who enjoy pretty things. I've never had the luxury of doing so. Any beautiful jewel or necklace was only a source of money for me; never something I would own for myself.

I smile in amusement while Gwen gets distracted in comparing a few jewels to her dress and looking in a mirror. "Sorry," she apologises, "I don't often get time for myself these days. Not that I could ever afford any of these jewels...but...you know. It's nice to look."

Her words are understandable, but there's something about what she's said that confuses me. I've never had to look at something I can't have with fondness as I could usually take it for myself. Usually, I wouldn't fuss myself with such things. Being a servant, Gwen doesn't have much she could afford, especially something like a necklace of jewels. I've never looked at something so simple from a commoner's point of view. I guess I've never felt like one, thus not acted in such a way.

"You've never spent time looking through stores, have you?" Gwen asks, noticing my moment of staring into space.

I return my gaze to her, a little surprised by her question, "No. I don't believe I have."

"How long have you been on the road, Edythe? If you don't mind me asking?" Gwen wonders.

"My whole life", I answer, my own words bringing realisation, causing me to pause upon picking up a necklace. "I've never... had the chance to stay in one place for a long time. Or wanted to, if I'm honest."

"That must be hard. I couldn't imagine," Gwen ponders, her face drowned in sadness. "Camelot has been home my whole life, and I love it more than you could know. Not having something to call home seems...."

"Lonely? Sad? Condemning?"

"I was going to say renounced", Gwen offers. "But I suppose they all mean the same thing."

I hum in response, my eye getting caught by a green glimmer in the sunlight. A simple emerald necklace sits alone, the greenstone embedded in a rusting silver pendant. I place the chain in my palm back onto the table as I reach for the strange emerald necklace. I admire its worn features, surprised that an object as such would be in amongst newly crafted beauties.

It's not new to me to see beautiful jewels, having seen many odd artifacts in my short life. I know this simple necklace would be forgotten for most, as it appears it has seen better days. For some unknown reason, I'm drawn to this particular gem. Because it stands out, maybe? Because it's a sign? Who knows.