Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters

Third Person P.O.V.

Elyan's jaw hangs open in shock. "Edythe...is your sister?"

The men of Camelot venture into the forest, trying to follow the little tracks Edythe has left behind. No one had pressured Arthur to speak on what was happening, and no one needed to know. All they want is to get Edythe home safe and in one piece. Arthur didn't necessarily introduce the truth very well, the concept coming up in conversation. Arthur tried to avoid it once having said it.

"Twin Sister", Merlin corrects, having found out the night prior after Arthur had. Gaius could not keep anything, especially this important, away from Merlin.

"Why did she run then?" Percival asks, still looking worn from the night before. He seems even a little green from the rocking of riding a horse.

"I don't know", Arthur admits, the very same question having circled his thoughts all morning. But the answer doesn't matter to Arthur. All he wants is to have the chance to change her mind and a chance at possibly having a family.

"Is there anything else we should know about that Uther kept secret?" Gwaine asks, anger laced in the past King's name.

Despite being very happy for both Arthur and Edythe, knowing that this is a good thing, Gwaine feels anger toward the situation. Gwaine knows how hateful Edythe was when speaking about her parents. She never knew them, but she had resentment, that much he could tell. Gwaine had always sympathy for Arthur for having a father such as Uther. Even now, he finds himself feeling sorry for Edythe if she hadn't had the chance to meet her deranged Father.

Although no one else would admit it, all the men present feel the same.

"I couldn't tell you", Arthur clucks, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. He doesn't allow himself to think about it too much, not wanting to hate his father.

"It doesn't matter. None of it changes anything. Edythe is still our friend, and I see her no differently," Leon concludes, his voice catching everyone's attention. The knight has said very little the whole ride. "I think Edythe needs to hear us say those words, reassure her. I think she's just scared."

A few men nod in agreement. Arthur hears his friend's words, knowing that he is probably right, but still feels strange guilt. He knows there's more reason for Edythe's departure. He hopes he can reassure her, as Leon suggests.

With Arthur's lack of response, Merlin interjects, "It'll be okay, Arthur, she'll be okay. It wasn't by chance that we met her, and it wasn't by chance that Gaius found the letter. You'll see, everything will fall into place."

Arthur once again hears his friend's words. He doesn't find the strength to respond, lost in his thoughts– concerned for his sister.

A smile plays on Elyan's lips. "How do you stay so positive, Merlin?"

"How is it you don't?" Merlin throws back with a cheeky grin.

"I'll tell you what it is. It's all that destiny and fate crap that Gaius feeds him," Gwaine teases.

"Well, at least it's useful for something", Percival comments.

The men continue talking, the mood becoming much lighter. Although the men try their hardest, Arthur remains fixed on finding Edythe and nothing else. He is grateful his knights took the news so easily, much more than Edythe had done. But Arthur still has his doubts, wanting nothing more than to resolve this and learn more.

Edythe's P.O.V.

I'm drained, eyes hollow and cheeks stained with dried tears. My legs drag me on through the forest at an average pace, muscles beginning to hurt from the long journey through the night. I didn't rest. I haven't eaten. I haven't stopped. Even at daybreak, I didn't falter in my journey, headed in the direction of the White Mountains. It wasn't long after I had left Leon that all the emotion I had bottled up came rushing back to me. It forced a pool of tears to roll down my red cheeks.