Chapter 11: Uncertainty

I still couldn't believe what had happened. Even as I was presented with my belongings, minus my weapons, of course, and a horse geared up for the journey back to Camelot. Olaf and even Arthur made sure I was set up for my new life in Camelot. Arthur has already boasted about the wonders of his Kingdom and the life I may lead in this unknown future.

The shock from the stone and the events passed slowly fade away, giving my spirits back. It feels great to have something normal after the past chaotic week. Although it will take some days before my voice regains its full strength, I'm already finding my sassy remarks boil back to the surface. Getting to be me again is everything I need for the hard road ahead. It's going to take a little more than wanting to change for the actual rehabilitation to happen.

A few hours after being in the hall, I find myself in the main Square. I wait patiently for the Knights of Camelot to prepare themselves for the journey ahead. I tried to help my saviours prepare for a trip I had caused them, but Merlin insisted I needed rest. It's as if my throat would stop my movements. I watch on, still caught up in my mind, as the men move around the square.

I still can't quite grasp the reality, and I know it'll hit like a ton of boulders later.

I catch sight of Gwaine and Leon, the two men having a short shuffling wrestle, bringing a small smile to my lips in amusement. They bump into a crate of artefacts delivered earlier for the Princess, a small ornament beginning to fall back. I leap up, ready to jump for it, but the fall lasts just as long as it begins.

Gwaine swiftly changes the object in his left hand whilst holding Leon back with the other. The knights look my way, letting out a loud chuckle of amusement. I shake my head in disapproval, but my laugh betrays me. It sounds more like a shriek, though, as I avoid the painful way of laughing.

"Edythe?" a deep voice announces, causing me to turn. I see Arthur and Olaf standing at the top of the stairs I've been sitting on. "Can I speak with you?" Olaf asks, gesturing toward the Royal Gardens, the entrance to the left of the square.

I nod, glancing to Arthur in question. He smiles, nodding to the King and me, before trotting down the stairs to join his men.

Olaf shuffles past me. "Walk with me."

We stroll through the giant archway, the stone walls around us morphing into greens and various colours of roses. The smell is intense but also comforting. We continue along the grassy path away from the world outside, the stone walls covered in vines and luscious green leaves.

Olaf takes in a deep breath, basking in the scent. "I wanted to have a moment alone...I know you can't talk much because of your throat, but I wanted to do more of the talking anyway. So, I'll try and keep this as brief as I can."

I nod for him to continue, our walk becoming slower.

"I-I am sorry for the grief I have caused you, Edythe", Olaf apologises humbly. "I know that Ivo had control, but it doesn't change that I was the one who inflicted the pain. Both figuratively and literally." He gestures hesitantly to my bruised neck.

I nod, softly running my hand over my neck.

"I still remember hearing the rumour of the thief who could obtain nearly anything one desired", Olaf reflects, his mind wandering back to a different time. "You were probably much younger than", he adds, a smile spreading his lips. I nod in agreement, "I found it strange how you had no hesitation to meet me. And it amazed me, even more, when you returned only hours later with a solution to my daughter's curse."

"I've had respect for you ever since, Edythe", Olaf confesses. "You're not just like any other thief. And you're no common criminal either. You have honour. You have bravery. You're not weak."