Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes

"Are you ready to beg for my forgiveness?" Morgana boasts, a menacing grin plastered across her lips.

I fight to hold myself up straight, my body protesting to stand. My strength has dispersed by dangerous strides, but I don't let my struggle show. I force a smirk as I stand before the witch. "And why would I do that?"

Morgana snickers. "I was hoping a few days in that cell would make you rethink your attitude, dear sister."

I snort, "I'm not your sister. And if you think toughing out a few days in a cell will break me, you haven't learnt a thing about me from your traitorous spy...." I snap, eyes shifting around the room for a moment. "Speaking of, where is dearest Agravaine?"

"He is hunting down Arthur as we speak", Morgana chimes, enjoying our conversation far too much for my liking. "We are so alike, you and I. We're fighters. Cast out by our dearest Father for possessing something we could not begin to control. I simply want to make you my equal."

My shoulders shake with my chuckle. "Oh yes, and then kill me once you have what you want. Oh, but what do I know? I'm not a high priestess."

"Indeed you are not", Morgana agrees standing. "I have been patient, Edythe. I wouldn't usually give such luxury. But being family, I thought I'd give you a chance", she sneers ", but alas, it appears Arthur has got his hooks in you."

I snicker. "If you're going to kill me, Morgana, get it over with. We were beyond the capabilities of being friends, never mind sisters, after you had me nearly killed by Ivo."

"You will have your wish...." Morgana whispers, "but not yet."

"Why?" I hiss. "Are you incapable of killing your own? After all, you are yet to succeed in killing Arthur."

Morgana glares, "You have no idea what I'm capable of."

"Remains to be seen."

Morgana glares down her nose at me, sweeping her dress around as she returns to her throne. She is retreating to her authority again. Helios stands behind the throne, watching in curiosity. Helios almost seems amused by our conversation, eyes on me with a fondness for my sharp tongue. I smirk back at the man almost proudly.

"Very well. Watch your friends starve," Morgana concludes. "If you had simply agreed to serve me, well, I may have been kind enough to give them some supper. Gwaine wouldn't have to fight then, would he? And maybe, I would have shown them some mercy...but alas, you dug their graves for them."

I glare at the witch, never having hated someone so much in my life, and I've had so much reason to hate in the past. I know this time is different. I have people I care about at stake, which only infuriates me more.

Gwaine has been fighting for our food over the past two days, losing all the strength he has left to keep us all alive. Elyan has regained strength, but it's only a matter of time before he begins to break down. Gaius...he's gotten worse. I fear he won't make it through the night, the fear eating away at what strength I have left. I wouldn't be surprised if my hair began to turn grey from the stress if it were possible.

I know Morgana is bluffing. She wouldn't free them, even if I did join. Yet, I still feel guilty I had a possible way to save the three people I care so deeply about. The fury toward Morgana only grows as I realise her mental games are working. I want nothing more than to drive a sword through her heart. I will do my best not to break, I won't let it happen, but unfortunately, that may be not easy in my weakened state.

"I can make you a promise, Morgana", I growl. "You better pray to the gods that you kill me before I get out because, sister, you have no idea what I'm capable of."