Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday

Despite my outburst, I calmed down. I realised that I was acting stupid. I'm experiencing much for the first time, which means stuff can be overwhelming for me. I'll overreact over things that I have always chosen to ignore or have been too stubborn to face. I had the night to sleep on it and evaluate what happened.

I also thought about my encounter with that man, Allister. I spent a long time wondering what that stone can do and what Allister intends to do with it.

I'm proud that I denied him, thus showing that everything Camelot has done for me changes who I am. Arthur was correct, which is both crazy and fitting alike.

Gaius hasn't spoken of the letter since my outburst, but I've seen it on his desk, folded perfectly. I suppose he hasn't had the time to 'examine' it yet. Or he hasn't wanted to for some reason? I couldn't see why that would be a problem. I leave it on his desk. Something urged me not to touch it.

Camelot buzzes with excitement, an event putting everyone in good spirits, even if they don't know Percival personally. I'm more nervous than excited, having never attended something this vast. Not to mention, this will be my first public appearance since my original arrival in Camelot.

Despite my protests and arguing, Gwen refuses to take no for an answer as she 'prepares' me for the celebration. Not knowledgeable in this 'lady-like' fashion, I confided in Gwen, which I regret. Even though I say no, Gwen takes it upon herself to do whatever she asks about anyway. Now, she braids my hair back in a much neater fashion than I could ever do.

When she starts applying strange ground substances to my face and some liquid to my lips, I'm concerned. I don't question assuming this is normal for a woman attending an event.

"Do you have an escort?" I ask, trying to start a conversation.

"Oh, no", Gwen chuckles at that thought. "I'll be helping the other servants serve."

I frown. "That doesn't mean you couldn't have an escort."

I couldn't imagine a world where no one would ask Gwen, the sweet stunning beauty next to me. Her beauty would even engage a King's attention.

"You also should have asked me to assist you in serving the guests. I would. I still can", I add, playing with the hem of the red dress that I now wear, feeling like a lie.

"No, you'd just do it to find a way to get out of this", Gwen giggles, tucking on the dress to make me swat her hands away because of the tight strain on my breath. Both of us have a good laugh together, Gwen adding her last few touches to her satisfaction.

"It's been a while since Gwaine has asked someone to an event seriously", Gwen comments. A cheeky smirk raises on her lips.

I frown, turning to face Gwen. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Gwen lets out a chuckle. "It's typical of Gwaine to dote over a pretty girl, but it's not often he peruses one unless he's serious about her."

I see the plain picture I havere with Gwen's words chosen to igno. I know Gwaine's personality and understand that he can be flirtatious at times, but I've grown to know him like that. This is probably why I wouldn't see if he were serious or not. Not that I agree with Gwen! I still think he's simply trying to help me fit in and feel accepted.

I press my lips. "We're getting along quite well as friends."

Gwen giggles. "Tell that to Gwaine."

She begins to place flowers into her braided hair. She's dressed in a lovely peach coloured gown, her special occasion dress, I'm assuming.

I can't help but glare at the woman mockingly, amused by her attempts and not impressed with her statements. "Is there someone you'd like to escort you?" I ask, now pressing on the matter, trying to give her a taste of her own medicine.