Chapter 19: Watch Your Back

I make my way toward the eastern valley Allister was talking about. The air becomes colder; snow is scattered over the mountain as I grow closer. The trek is shorter than I thought when I looked from a distance. Now having put some distance between me and the city of Camelot, I feel much better. My mind has grown clearer, allowing me to act as if the past few days haven't happened.

The hut comes into view, hidden at the base of a mountain. I slip into the valley, making sure to hold onto my bag tightly. Dry, dead leaves lay across the valley's floor despite little trees around its edges. I can see the sky become darker as black clouds roll in, covering its ocean blue. I shiver as a light breeze kisses my skin, bringing a skip to my step.

I reach the wooden door, planting loud knocks on the wooden frame. I'm all too eager to escape the weather, even if it's for a short while. The door opens, revealing Allister, dressed in his same navy cloak as when I had met him just a week ago. He rubs his eyes, seemingly having only just woken from slumber. For a moment, he looks me up and down; his confused face morphs into that eerie smirk he had when I first met him.

"Edythe", Allister greets. "I knew you'd come."

I'm uneased by his words, but I stand my ground, knowing I need what this stone will provide. I depend on it. If all fails, I will be wanted for theft once again, and I'll have no way of escape. This is the only chance I have to change myself and the life I wish to live. I don't want to fall back into old habits. This is my last act. This is to be my salvation to move on.

"Did you bring it?"

I nod, reaching into my leather bag shuffling through all my belongings to find the emerald stone. The cold stone kisses my fingers as I retrieve it from the darkness of my bag. I forgot in the short time how beautiful the stone is. The green glow bounces off my pale skin and onto the wooden hut.

Allister's eyes widen as he sees the stone as if not expecting there to be a glow. I'm cautious of the admiring gaze that takes Allister's features. The look reminds me of evils that have been done with similar stones and the effects they've had on people. A shiver runs down my spine in memory of the blue hell stone. Every cell in my body tells me not to hand over the stone, but as Allister pulls a satchel full of coins from his cloak, I remind myself that this is for the better.

"I thank you dearly, Edythe", Allister praises, bowing. "You have no idea what kind of relief you have given me."

I frown at his words, not too sure what he means by that. I give a half-hearted nod, taking the pouch from the older man's hand. Allister watches on patiently as I open the leather pouch, counting through the coin. I nod as I count the money, realising that I have a little extra than I'm used to. This brings relief knowing that I'm set.

Satisfied with the amount given, I hand over the stone, continuing to remind myself that this is best. I've never felt guilty about delivering something I have stolen, but I feel like a horrible person this time. The image of a demon sitting on my shoulder whispering influences into my ear flashes through my mind. The thought is unsettling.

Allister admires the stone, glazing upon it as if it's a life source. I wonder again what the stone does, knowing it is magic, but its properties are unknown. For all I know, this stone is a life source.

Allister's eyes find me again. "Thank you, thank you", he praises, taking my hand in his. I pull my hand out of his defensively, not like the contact. "Would you like to come in? Have some hot brew?"

My eyes scan the weather outside, seeing the distant fall of rain closing in. As if on cue, my gut lets out a grumble, demanding that I fill my stomach with substance. I should be getting a move on, aiming to leave Arthur's kingdom as soon as possible and seek passage possibly out of the five kingdoms. My needs for warmth and food appear stronger.