4. 𝙀𝙭𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚

Imelda hoped she was dead.

The pounding in her head and the stiffness of her muscles said otherwise. A grunt left her lips, her eyes slowly peeled open and blinked back the harsh rays of sunlight that streamed down onto her.

"Well, look who decided to wake up." Klaus's lilting voice washed over her. He continued to flip through the magazine he was reading. "I was wondering if I had given you my blood to late."

"Isn't attacking you a death sentence?" Imelda groaned and sat up. She rolled her neck and popped her shoulders. She felt less stiff and the ache in her head subsided the longer she was awake. She found Klaus smirking at her, as if he was amused by her answer.

Klaus closed the magazine and tossed it onto the coffee table. "Most do but then I thought, now why would I rid this godforsaken planet of someone as ravishing and brave as you?"

Imelda snorted. "There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity." Her eyes roamed over the room she was in.

It was some fancy hotel room, the sounds of a city drifted through the open window. She jumped up, sprinting to the window and skidding to a stop on the balcony. She felt the wind brush past her and strong hands rest on her shoulders.

"I feel hurt, Imelda Fell." Klaus drawled, his grip tight to keep her in place but not tight to harm her. "I saved your life and now you want to leap from the balcony? A tad dramatic, don't you believe?"

"I'm not jumping from anything." Imelda shot the idea down. "Where are we?" She didn't see the Empire State building or anything that would tell her she was in New York. She twisted in his grip, her words catching him off guard and allowing her to peer up at him.

"Tell me we're not in New York."

Klaus searched her panicked expression. "Are you commanding me?" His voice was low as he dipped his head downward to see into her hazel eyes more clearly.

They weren't like any hazel eyes he had ever seen before. Flecks of green, blue, amber and even gray swarmed in her eyes, making them appear clear, dark and vibrant; as odd as it sounded. Klaus felt something stir inside of his chest the longer he stared into her eyes. He backed up.

"We're in Chicago." Klaus offered a smile, playing it off, his smile morphed into a curious expression as her racing heart calmed at his words. "Care to inform me why New York is such a horrible place?"

Imelda cleared her throat. "Seeing as you had a hand in my sister's death, not really." She looked away from him, moving from the balcony and entering the hotel room once more.

"Come now, Love." Klaus rolled his eyes. "I told you the truth and despite you attacking me, saved your life. You owe me."

"Of course I owe you." Imelda grumbled, not realizing he had heard her and smirked as she moved around the room. "Where's Stefan? He's the one who threw me off of you, isn't he?" She rubbed her hands together and pursed her lips.

Klaus stood in the center of the room, hands tucked into his jean pockets. "He was. At the moment he's the only comrade I have left."

Imelda rolled her eyes. "Careful, he'll kill your sibling and send you their heart." She missed the dark look that filled his blue-green eyes. Her stomach twisted and she shook her head.

"That is cruel." Klaus spoke softly, watching the young woman who seemed to struggle and fight back tears.

Imelda rubbed her nose, her eyes landing on the mini fridge. She crossed the room in quick strides, jerking the door open Klaus watched her pull out a bottle of beer, use the nearby counter to open it and downed half all within a moment.