33. 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙒𝙖𝙡𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝘿𝙚𝙖𝙙

Caroline Forbes's leg bounced from underneath the table. Her blue eyes were narrowed and filled with intense concentration. Spread out across the table and covering the distance from her and the latest vampire with their humanity back on, was Elena Gilbert.

The doe eyed Gilbert was not as focused or that into writing and sending out graduation invitations but the blonde had asked her, despite all of the horrible things she had done so she was obligated to be there.

"Stamp, please." Caroline held out her hand, not looking to see Elena tear one of the stamps before quickly getting another one and giving it to her. "Thank you."

"Have you heard from Imelda?" Elena found herself asking. This seemed to cease the blonde's neat hand writing and prompting her to look up. "I mean, she's still technically a student."

Caroline pursed her lips. "Have you even tried calling her?" The question came out rude and it was intended to be.

Five months ago, at the start of November, Imelda Fell had lost the only father she had known.

Before that she lost her supposed friends, save for Caroline. After everything, from Elena killing Kol, to Jeremy dying and Elena shutting off her humanity and being a horrible, none of them had even seemed to think to call the Fell girl who had gone 'missing.'

Caroline and her mom, however, knew exactly where she was and what she was up to. Damon didn't want to know, not after losing both of them. So that left only the Forbes women talking about the now former Fell; not that anyone knew that.

"How can I?" Elena shook her head. "Alaric died, twice, because of me and when Katherine killed Jeremy? I set my house on fire rather than call her."

"Then there's your problem." Caroline waved her hand in the air as she stuck the stamp to another envelope. "And for the record, she's stopped answering my calls, like, two weeks ago."

Elena felt guilt wash over her. Her gaze settled to the only envelope she had sealed. Of course, it wasn't her first graduation invitation but it wasn't like anyone outside of herself knew that. It also didn't matter, there was no way to send it.

"You think she's okay?" Elena sighed heavily, leaning back in her chair and watching Caroline shrug; already back to working on her mass of invitations. "You know, if she was here, I'd bet she'd help me kill Katherine."

"No." Caroline glared at Elena. "If she was here she'd tell you to let it in and then let it go. Imelda is the last person to ever want vengeance, even after everything she went through." Capping her pen, Caroline began to gather her things.

Caroline stood. "Just call her, she might answer and with any luck, she might be able to talk you out of this momentary delusional plan to kill Katherine." With her peace made, Caroline headed off, leaving the Gilbert alone.

~~~~~

Sheriff Liz Forbes was spread as thin as a sheet of paper, maybe even thinner. If it wasn't her daughter's graduation being the very next day it was the five vampire like murders she was currently dealing with. Luckily, she had two vampires headed toward her.

Damon and Stefan Salvatore looked as she expected to see them meeting her in the hospital, confused and annoyed. Whatever conversation they were having ended when she greeted them, hands on her hips and eyes narrowed in concern.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming." She tipped her head in greeting but was already moving and leading them to one of the crime scenes.

Stefan frowned. "Hey." He could smell the blood before they reached the patient's room.