A Bullet is the Key

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. McCain." Ryder said I glanced over my shoulder slightly as I watched him make his way into the room and take the seat across from Benny. Grabbing a green apple from the bowl on the table in the process.

"Good morning, Ryder." Both my parents said at the same time, totally forgetting I was there. "Good morning, honey." Oh now they realize I'm in the room. Both of my parents said at the same time, over looking me as I stood there and it seemed they weren't surprised by the appearance of Ryder. It was like he hadn't been gone for years.

I made my way over to the fridge and grabbed a small bottle of orange juice before turning around to access the scene before me. They sat there chatting with one another, my mind still in a haze as their words slipped my mind. Bringing the bottle to my lips I took a sip just as my mother began to talk.

"Honey" She said.

"Yes, mom?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, waiting for her to continue.

"We are going away for a few weeks to travel the country with your little brother, you will be staying here since you have school." She said with a smile on her face, I just starred at her a look of shock on mine. They are going to travel while I have to stay here. What the hell? I thought.

"I... You... What?" I asked.

 "Honey, I am sorry that we had to tell you this on such short notice but you see Emma we are leaving today and you have school." My father said.

Before I could say anything, Ryder beat me to it.

 "Bells we should head to school if don't want to be late." I just nodded at him as I threw the bottle in the trash and made my way to stand next to Ryder who had stood up from his seat. I couldn't think of anything to say.

"It was good seeing you, hopefully it won't be so long next time." Ryder said.

"Ryder you better take care of my daughter." My dad said as he just looked at me with disappointment in his eyes since I hadn't said anything.

"Have a good trip; I totally understand I mean I have to get into the career of my dreams. Maybe once I graduate we can all do a family trip somewhere." I said with a fake smile on my face, my mother's face lit up with a smile and she nodded her head as I pulled Ryder after me.

"Ryder, you better." My father said with a tough tone.

"Of course Mr. McCain" Ryder said as he pulled me out the door before closing it behind us. Walking to my 2011 white Volvo, letting go of Ryder's hand in the process as I made my way to the driver side and climbed in. I started the car as Ry got into the passenger seat, slowly I pulled out of the drive way and headed to school which was only a few blocks from my house.

"So are you going to be embarrassed to be seen with me?" Ryder asked his tone clipped instead of the cheerful one he just had. I glanced at him at a red light to see his fists clenched and a hard look on his face. His question made no sense what so ever.

"No, why would I be embarrassed to be seen with you?" I asked while focusing my eyes back onto the road, when the light turned green once more.

"Cause you're the president and most popular person on campus, that's why."

"I am not embarrassed to be seen with you." I told him truthfully.

The last few minutes were dead silent as I pulled into the parking lot of Frankton University; I slowly made my way to my normal spot in the front. Once I was parked Ryder quickly jumped out of the car while grabbing his backpack, which I didn't even see him grab as we left my house. He raced away from my car as if it was on fire. I watched his retreating figure as I stepped out and locked the doors before I started my journey to meet my friends. I had to get all new books when school became open once again, because for some reason I was unable to go to my locker well now old locker. That hallway had become closed off, even though it was cleaned. All the seniors had to switch lockers; no one could actually tell me why I couldn't get my stuff from my locker. Some say it was because of all the blood that was where my locker was, or the fact it was all thrown away when the cleaning people cleaned that hallway.