Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The morning sun shinned through my bedroom window awakening me to a new day. It was silent, as I lay there for a moment with my eyes open, though this time the silence seemed eerie. Maybe it was due to the nightmare I had last night that left my nerves on end and fear in my chest, the worst part being that I couldn't remember a thing about it. Deciding it was time to get off seeing as my head didn't hurt as bad this morning, I threw off the covers and stood up. Reaching my arms above my head I heard the solid sound of a crack as I lifted them up and arched my back. Once done I made my way into the bathroom to get ready this morning, with the flip of the switch I looked at my face in the now lit mirror. I wasn't as pale as I had been yesterday, color was returning to my cheeks leaving them a sweet peach color; my eyes lost the bags from under them and my hair wasn't in a twisted mess. Running a brush through my hair I left it down in cascading waves as I began to brush my teeth. Once I was done with my bathroom routine I walked towards my closet to get ready for the day. I had a meeting today as student body president; a smile was on my lips as I thought of what we were having the meeting for. A carnival was going to be held in honor of many charities so we could raise money for them.

I grabbed a pair of black shorts that puffed out slightly and looked baggy as they fell mid thigh. I paired it with a white tank top and covered it with a black cardigan where I only buttoned the bottom three buttons. Bending down I grabbed a pair of 3 inch black high heels and slipped them on my feet. Even though it is still cold outside I decided I would be cute and comfy for my meeting. Walking back into the bathroom I applied a light brush of black eye shadow, swiping my lashes with mascara.  I keep it simple and natural.

With one final look I caught the stitches that arched across my forehead, right above my eyebrow it was 2 inches long and still felt tender. With a shake of my head, I was out the door and heading toward the kitchen to grab a granola bar and an apple to eat.

Once I had eaten my breakfast I headed toward my Volvo sitting pretty in the drive way, it was my 16th birthday gift they told me I could pick any car but me being me I picked the Volvo. My parents weren't overly happy since they both drive corvettes and have two other expensive cars that sit covered in the garage. Backing up I headed toward the college, my phone was silent as I expected it would be. My family was off having fun, why would they worry about me. Most people saw us as the prefect family, simple, rich, polished, loving, and so much more. But behind closed doors that is not what we were. My mother babied Ben, she was more focused on making him happy than me, but I guess that's because he is her son and I'm only the stepdaughter. Yes, a secret my family has hidden from the public, my mother passed away when I was 8 from breast cancer. I was the only one beside her when she died, her last words to me were "you are stronger than you realize, I love you baby girl", I even kept it from Ryder.

Pulling into the parking lot I had barely parked the car, gotten out and locked it before I heard Chrissie screech my name from across the quad.

"What Chris?" I asked a little annoyed by her sudden outburst.

"Ryder is here today, he shouldn't be here!" She yelled, as she got closer while glaring at those who stopped to wonder what was going on.

I raised my eyebrow at my best friend.

"Huh?"

"He shouldn't be allowed on school grounds Emma he made you trip and fall, this should have been the last straw." I looked at her like she was crazy; Ryder didn't trip me or do anything.

"Um okay" I said still shocked by her outburst, her green eyes glared at me with hidden emotions lingering. She threw her hands in the air and grabbed my arm as she stormed to the main building on campus. "Paging Ms. McCain to the main office please" A voice said over the intercom, Chrissie came to a screeching stop and looked at me with narrowed eyes. Dropping my arm, she looked at me with a look that I could not place.