Chapter 20

"Alright, so first, I want you to try something for me. Just simply put your hands up on the keys and press down to figure out where you're at." Hoseok instructs, a surprisingly level of gentleness and kindness in his voice. However, I frown at the suggestion, leaving my hands sat in my lap.

"That's not going to work. I've been told to do that enough times, I know what happens." I counter, feeling frustrated already.

"Just trust me on this, okay? Just do what I asked you to do." Hoseok tells me, making me grumble under my breath in annoyance.

Trying not to lose my mind over this entire thing already, I force myself to give him a try like Joon wants. Reluctantly placing my fingers over the keys in front of me, I try to brace myself for the painful sound that's bound to come. Pressing down, I cringe almost instantly at the terrible dissonance that echoes throughout the room.

"I told you. I know what happens when I just toss my hands up there. It sounds like shit because I'm not on center." I mutter bitterly.

"Okay, good. So, you know why it didn't sound right. That means we know we can't just find center by doing that. Right?" Hoseok responds gently. Taking a deep breath to calm myself down, I begrudgingly nod my head.

"Good. So, next thing I want you to do for me. Place your hands back over the keys. But, this time, I want you to run your hands to the very edges on either side till your at the last keys. Then, bring them together and see if you can find center that way." Hoseok recommends next.

Biting my lip, I hesitantly do as he asks, taking my hands to the edges of the piano keys before bringing them back together. Though, I know being completely together is entirely wrong, moving myself anyways so that my body at least can be more centered. Taking a deep breath, I squeeze my eyes shut and slowly move my hands back out a bit. I know closing my eyes doesn't do anything, but it helps me to focus a bit more, trying to imagine the keys in front of me.

"Wait. You're so close, here. Count to yourself." Hoseok whispers softly before I feel hands gently wrapping around mine. It hitches my breath in my throat at the touch, swallowing back down my nerves as I do as told and count when he separates my hands once more. Keeping the number in my head, I mentally repeat it to myself over and over again.

"Now press on the keys." Hoseok murmurs from the side of the piano. Taking a small breath, I nod lightly before pressing down on the keys.

I can't help but grin as I hear the harmony of the keys falling together perfectly, having felt like I would never be able to even hit harmony close to this ever again.

"There we go! Okay, let's do that again. See if you can find that spot without my help this time, okay?" Hoseok suggests. Taking a deep breath and biting my lip once more, I nod again before repeating the actions.

Bringing my hands together, I try to count carefully before pressing down on the keys. However, I can hear the certain level of dissonance, whining quietly as I realize I've messed it up.

"It's okay, it's okay. You were really close, okay? Try it again, you were moving your left hand a little faster than your right. I don't think you had your fingers close enough to the keys to properly feel the seam between each one." Hoseok speaks up quickly.

I sigh, feeling discouraged all over again as I try once more. However, the more I try it, it seems the more I keep messing up, the further I'm getting from where Hoseok had gotten me to.

Groaning in frustration, I drop my hands to my lap before using one hand to run my fingers through my hair.

"I'm not getting anywhere with this. I keep fucking up, and the more I try, the worse it gets." I mutter sourly. I hear him hum softly from beside the piano, before he speaks once more.

"Why don't we take a break for today? You're frustrated and worked up over this, and it's only gonna get worse until your done trying altogether. Why don't you go home and we'll call it quits for the day, and then we can have you come in again another time, and we'll go from here?" Hoseok suggests gently.

His suggestions catches me off guard, surprised by how kind he's still sounding and by how he seems to actually care at least a little. However, as I recall the issue of price, my mood deflates once more.

"I can't. I can't just keep coming back here for more and more lessons. It'll be too expensive for us." I murmur quietly.

"Don't worry about the price, yeah? It's all free. Every lesson."

My jaw drops at this, head snapping up in his direction.

"What? Wait, no. How are you supposed to make any money then?" I question, not understanding any of it. He chuckles softly at this though.

"I'm making money off of the store itself, not just off of any lesson I give, Yoongi hyung. Besides, you're Jiminie's best friend. It's the least I can do for the both of you. Okay? Plus, once you get the hang of finding where to start out at, I don't think it'll be long before you're off and playing on your own with no help at all. Now get going, okay? Take a break and give yourself a break. You're not dealing with an easy time, and that's okay. It's okay to struggle."