Chapter 13 - By the Moonlit Window

I opened the door to the tavern.

Ah... Back to this smell, faq...

Serah was flying around the tavern serving food here and there.

Busy as usual huh.

I returned to my room and found Eri on the bed. 

"I'm back."

"Oh, new clothes."

"Yeah, I went here and there and bought a couple of stuff."

I unpacked everything I had on my backpack on the corner. I took the bag off and got myself comfortable. 

Eri had complicated expressions on her face. 

"What's wrong?"

"You said you met a god right?"

"Well, God, Yeah."

"What kind of god is he?"

"Uhh, All power God?"

"Is he able to undo curses?"

"Of course, I would think so. He sent me here."

"Can you talk to him?"

"Yeah... sort of."

"Can you hear me out?"

"Of course."

The atmosphere dramatically shifted.

We both sat down on the bed and stared out of the window in a dark room with moonlight shining through.

Eri started talking.

"I was born as the 3rd child of Évreux family. I grew up as a happy child, my parents favored me for being youngest. I had two elder sisters born with extravagant aptitude in magic. They were both one of the top highlighted students in the magic academy as the prodigy of prodigies. When I enrolled in the magic academy, everyone had a high expectation of me. They thought I would be the most genius and most talented out of the Évreux siblings, but they were wrong. My magic was nowhere as strong as my sisters. I had a significantly smaller amount of mana compared to the average kids. I was at the last place in any competition. For the first two years, everyone was just disappointed and ignored me, but I started to get bullied."

Eri took a deep breath and sighed.

"kids were... they poured drinks on me occasionally as they walked by, purposely miss magics to hit me, boys sexually harassed me and even the grades below me started to treat me like garbage. Sometimes, my sisters were part of bullying. The teachers knew everything, exactly what was going on, but they didn't do anything. They would bag me and throw me out into a wilderness. I was so sick of it. I was..."

"My parents gave up on me and did not give a single shit about what happened to me. It was that night, a group of kids kidnapped me from school and locked me in some storage with them. After beating me to pulps, they were about to rape me. I quietly chanted dimensional lightning storm and managed to get out of the situation barely. I stopped going to school, but a week after I was summoned by the school head. The students who got hit by my lighting storm reported me for allegedly assaulting them with magic while they were just going about their business. I told them what happened, but they already set up false witnesses and fake evidence. Nobody listened to me. No one. My parents were there apologizing instead of listening to anything I say, they looked at me as an eyesore. I had enough."

"That was when I dropped out. I thought I would rather die than to stay there for an extra second. I came back to my room and grabbed everything I needed and ran away from home."

I saw Eri trying her best not to burst out in emotion.

"Have you ever talked to anyone about this?"

"No. I-"

My body reacted by itself and hugged Eri.

"It must've been hard..."

Eri started dripping tears with a bitter face.

I hugged her tighter.

"You don't have to hold it in, It's ok to cry."

All the backed-up emotions Eri had in her past until now exploded right in front of me, in my arms.

"Nobody listened to me."

"It must've been hard."

I gently patted her head the whole time.

"They spat and stepped on my face,
They spat and stepped on my hair,
They blamed everything on me,
They burnt me,
They burnt everything I had,
They destroyed every little thing I had,
They beat me,
They dragged me,
They... tried to rape me."

"It's ok. It's ok."

She broke down. I felt the bitterness and sorrow coming from her tears.

For the first time in my life, I held a crying girl in my arms.