Chapter 29 - Hero

The moment the match started, the hero chanted a short spell. A unique magic diagram appeared and covered his body. I activated Magic Shield as a fail-safe.

As ready as I could get, with a firm grip on my sword, I tried closing my distance with the hero, but the moment I entered the range to do anything, he backed off.

I stopped and properly thought of a strategy. His feet were fast; I couldn't catch up to him at all. I was concerned about the magic he used. I couldn't think of other spells but body enhancement, but what kind of enhancement?

With that last thought, his magic diagram shed off like scales. I was clearly confused, but it was clear that he was buying time for that specific moment. I upped my guard and widened my sight. 

I threw my first charge of Fireball at him. It hit something and exploded, throwing clouds of dust. I waited until the dust died down.

The instant that I realized that the hero was not in the midst of the dust cloud, the hero popped in front of me like lightning. I blocked both of his swings and locked my eyes onto him.

Holy shit what the fuck was that?

This was nothing like I've ever fought before. He was strong. All the strategies I came up with was useless. 

"Not bad! But it's over now!"

"Wha-"

The hero did not give me time to think. He started his swing barrage. I had to focus on blocking incoming attacks rather than thinking. We begin our clashing of swords. 

I used my Power Strike the moment I saw an opening, but he dodged my swing with ease. I chained my attack upwards, but he also managed to dodge it. I activated Mana Blade. The unexpected happened.

His sword was not even scratched by my mana infused steel. With each strike, I noticed his attack speed becoming faster and faster. I couldn't keep up with him. 

"Come on, we're just starting! It's gonna get faster!"

I was being pushed back. My Power Strike gave him a little push, but I did not use it to make sure I had enough mana for the Time Acceleration. 

His speed was reaching a point where I couldn't handle anymore. I used Power Strike to fend off an attack and get into a safe distance, but the blade of my sword broke. He smirked as if he won already.

I was thrown off by it. With no primary weapon in hand, I had no choice.

時間加速(Jikan kasoku)! (Time Acceleration)

Heal! (3/3)

I quickly drew my dagger from my back and applied Mana Blade on it. I quickly went around the Hero and proceeded to stab his heart as a fatal blow.

My dagger was stopped by an unknown object and it immediately flashed red. Without giving any warning,  a tear gas of sort went off and forced me to back off. That smoke or gas was dangerous. I felt pains all throughout my skin when it touched my skin.

While I was unable to approach him any closer, I thought of what to do after the Time Acceleration ended. I thought of a perfect plan. 

I pulled out my water canteen and sprayed him with it. Once the Time Acceleration stopped, I waited until the smoke/gas was gone; he seemed to be unfazed by it. Before he could do anything, I shot my Discharge at him. No matter how fast his reaction was, he was unable to react to the speed of light. His body, covered in water, took heavy damage.

I shot the rest 3 charges at him, practically paralyzing him and got into the melee range. He wasn't paralyzed for long, after just a second, he recovered. I tossed a Fireball right at his face and activated Mana Blade once again.

In an attempt to block the Fireball, he swung at the fireball and blew it upright in his face. When he recovered from the shock, he realized my dagger stabbed from the behind, right in his neck. 

Some kind of force removed the blade and pushed me out and the bracelet he had on gave its last shine and shattered into pieces.

The hero stood there dumbfounded, he got himself together and unsheathed his weapons.

"Wow, I lost. What even are you?"

"Just a guy who's trying to skip ranks."

The referee shot his hands up in the air and screamed,

"MATCH OVER! WINNER, SEO-JUN KIM!"

Everyone in the arena was shaken up by what just happened. Not sure what to do, I started heading back to the group where everyone was waiting. The hero stopped got hold of me again.

"What was your name again?"

"Seo-jun Kim."

I walked away, towards the group again.

Sorry, but I'm the MC here.