Chapter 23 - Protagonist?

I asked a few questions along the way to the Guildhall.

"Ashley, how old are you?"

"Thirteen I think."

"When's your birthday?"

"January 1, 1E3N."

That's a new fucking way of counting years.

With some short conversation here and there, we arrived at the Guildhall. We headed in and made our way to Deric's office to finish up the business.

"Let's get straight to the point, did everything work out?"

"Yes, it took a bit of time but my men found the body."

I personally requested Deric to find Ashley's brother's body when they go through the bad guys' base in this town. They weren't able to identify the cause of death due to its decomposition.

"Ashley, they managed to retrieve your brother's body. Do you want a proper burial service?"

"Wait, what?"

"I'll pay for it."

Fuck it, I don't know how much it costs, but hell, Imma do it.

"Deric how much does it cost?"

"Funerals... are not done to commoners unless they are really, really well known. They can go from 1 platinum to 50 gold over that."

"Well shit, um. I guess that ain't happening. Sorry, but do you want to have your brother properly buried?"

"Yes, next to my parents if possible."

"Where is it?"

"Outskirts of Eman."

"Chief, how far is Eman from here?" I asked Deric.

"Very, very far away."

"How long does it take to go there?"

"Around two weeks."

"Holy cwapu. Deric, how much would it cost for me to send someone to do that?"

"Well, if you're lucky, you can just catch a caravan going to Eman and pay them to do the job."

"Can you help me with that?"

"Of course, don't hesitate to ask me anything."

"Thank you."

"I'll cover the cost as well."

"No that's-"

"No, it's all good. It's going to only cost like 5 gold."

I just accepted it.

"I owe you too much at this point..."

"No, you do not know how much you translating the diary meant to me."

Deric chugged the last bit of coffee left and told Eri and Ashley that he wanted to talk to me alone while letting an assistant in.

"Well, Seo-Jun. You are being rewarded for your heroic deeds. You are rewarded with 25 platinum coins."

"And how much are platinum coins worth in gold..?"

"100"

"Sorry but, how much is an average meal for commoners here Deric?"

"Goes around 1 to 2 silvers I must say."

So to do the math, if average meals are about 1 or 2 silver here then to compare it to standard food 4 dollars to 7 dollars, simply they for 1 silver, I can say they are worth about 3.5 to 4 dollars. So 250,000 silver, and that time 3.5... fuck just multiply that by 4 and.. at most I'm getting a million fooocking DOLLAS.

"Umm, I'm suddenly all rich."

"If this news spreads, you might even become a town hero. I'm pretty sure it's already spreading."

"Umm, what?"

"Yeah, people probably saw the news nailed on the church door by now."

"They don't know what I look like, do they?"

"Probably don't unless they interacted with you. Don't worry, you're already going down in history."

Now it actually feels like an Isekai I imagined. Fucking Finally.

"Yeah, you see I landed here not long ago and I only had trouble on trouble... but now I can take a break."

"I'm glad. Oh and also, I almost forgot. The act of selling and buying any kind of slave is strictly illegal unless it is to pay off their debt and all that junk. What you did was pretty bad, but since it was done as a sort of hostage and demand type, that "trade" was considered a negotiation between a kidnapper and a rescuer this time."

My man got my back I see.

"Thanks for taking care of that too."

"And now Ashley is going to need a guardian. As of now, you are considered her guardian. Should I look for someone to take her in? Or do you think you can take care of her?"

"I'll take care of her for now, but I'll look for one myself meanwhile."

"Alright then."

Deric stood up and cleared his throat.

"Anyway, I have to get working now, with the incident my workload increased a bit."

"Anything I can help with?"

"Nothing that I can get any help with."

"Well, then we'll excuse ourselves now."

I said my farewell and left the office to the main area. Eri greeted me.

"How'd go?"

"Good, I guess?"

The Guildhall was more crowded than before. It was very noticeable that people were looking at me, I didn't hate it so I didn't really bother.

"So, what's the plan? What do you guys want to do?"

"Whatever you do."

Eri seemed to be following up her words from this morning.

"I don't know."

You bastards are really making me decide...

"Alright, what about we go shopping? I'm pretty sure that Ashley will need several spare clothes and her daily necessities. And I might be able to gift you something Eri. And if.. you can help with Ashley and her girl shopping matter, it would help a ton. I'll give you the funds."

"Ok, leave it to me."

"Is that ok with you Ashley?"

"I guess."

We headed to the central market in front of the Guildhall. It was busy as usual, people buying stuff here and there and merchants trying to appeal to everyone. 

I handed Eri a big gold coin.

"Eri, here's the money."

"Ok."

"I'm gonna go do my stuff, let's meet up in about two hours."

"Ok."