Chapter 34 - More on the Journey to the Capital

My eyes slowly opened up and revealed Eri as she was sleeping, swaying left and right as the carriage bumped away. Wanting some fresh air, I opened up the window to the front and shoved my upper body out. 

The cast of a shadow of the forest indicated the sun rising. As the cool air rushed into my body, I felt the humidity of the air, not unpleasant, but similar to one of a cold mist hitting your face. 

The driver tipped his hat and greeted, "Good morning."

"Good morning, were you driving all night?"

"Of course."

"And also, my introduction was late. I'm Seo-jun Kim. It is a pleasure riding in your carriage."

"I am honored," he lifted his head in the place of a handshake, "Tylor Wilson."

"Sorry, everything was crazy yesterday and I just kind of died...?"

He gave an understanding nod.

"Have you gotten any sleep?"

"No, sir."

"Shouldn't you get some rest, Mr. Wilson?"

"I appreciate your concern, but I will be just fine. I'm trained in this matter." 

"I see, how long do we have left until we get there?"

"Well, lucky for us, the portion of the forest was made into a path not long ago. Thanks to that we'll most likely going to arrive by midnight."

"Nice!..." I thought of something more to mention. "Have you eaten anything?"

"Yes, I ate pieces of jerkies and some other junks. Also, your breakfast is also on the go, we can have a breakfast stop if you are feeling hungry. Or would you like to wait until Ms. Eri's awake?"

The conversations Eri and I threw at each other came back into mind,

"Uhh, I'll just eat by myself for now..." 

"Who's eating by themselves?"

Oh, shi-

I quickly turned around, startled. 

"Hmm???" Eri crossed her arms and pouted.

"Oh... Good morning... Since when.? Were you up?"

"I don't know. When do you think?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. 

"Cut me some slack will ya..." I said, looking down, a bit ashamed.

"Hehehe, anyway. Let's eat soon! I'm starving."

There she goes again, acting as if nothing happened yesterday.

I let out another sigh. "Alright..." I faced Mr. Wilson, "Let's stop by for a food break."

"Roger~"

As the shaking of carriage eased off, it came to a complete stop. The driver came around and opened up the door.

"Thank you," Eri said as she stepped out of the carriage.

I also showed formal gratitude and got off without hesitation.

We came to a stop at a nice soothing place surrounded by a mix of forests and flowerbeds. Eri was admiring the environment as she wondered around the carriage. It didn't take long for me to be drawn into the beautiful scenery. 

As we were staring off into the distance, Mr. Wilson prepared the dished for us. They weren't much of a dish, just some foods warmed up on boiling water. We gathered around the fire to eat.