♡2. Whom the Gem chooses♡

5 YEARS AGO

Aquarius smoothed her dress for the hundredth time, making sure that nothing was out of place. Her tail flicked back and forth anxiously, which made her efforts to smooth her outfit vanish in an instant. But she couldn't help it. It would and could be one of the biggest days in her life.

  That was, if the Aqua Gem chose her to be its wielder and guardian. She and her brother Nemar were the next in line of the Atlantian royal family, and if it didn't choose Nemar, it would choose her.

  She was both crazily scared and excited at the same time. If the gem did choose her, she would have to shoulder a burden she had never experienced and have never imagined, but on the other hand, if Nemar was chosen, well, in theory, she shouldn't have any worries.

"Princess Aquarius," a muffled voice spoke up from behind her," The ceremony is about to begin."

  She took a deep breath, the gills at her cheeks quivering slightly. She managed to keep her voice from trembling," Alright."

  The doors leading out towards the hallway opened, and Aquarius swum out, her eyes instantly meeting that of his brother's, those crystal blue, slightly glowing eyes seemed to assure her own similar pair. Nemar gave a nervous smile, then squeezed her shoulder lightly as if to reassure her that it was okay.

  The siblings looked barely alike, since their eyes were quite different. Nemar's more intense, while Aquarius' much softer, which portrays their respective personalities. Aquarius looked more like their mother, while Nemar had the eyes of his father, as well as the more rugged face contour, which had him pegged as the troublemaker he was. Still, it was a serious day, and Nemar would probably be on his best behaviour.

  "Gods, Aqua," he said," you look amazing."

  "Not bad yourself," Aquarius arched her eyebrow, then giggled lightly," Hardly see you wearing any of these suits these days."

  Her older brother was also dressed in fancy way, even though the styles of their clothes were quite different. He wore a pale green suit with a glimmering sea green jacket, while a dark blue cape was pinned to his shoulders, bearing the mark of the Atlantian royal family. She kind of envied how cool her brother looked, especially the cape, which fluttered slightly in the gentle currents of the underwater palace, and glinted with a metallic tone when the light was reflected off it. For once, he seemed to finally know how to dress neatly.

  "Ha, ha," Nemar rolled his eyes.

  "If only Tyssia were here," Aquarius said wistfully," She would have looked stunning."

  Nemar cleared his throat and lowered his head," Why did you have to bring that up?"

   "I am sorry," Aquarius said quietly,"I just miss her, you know."

  Nemar didn't say anything else.The mention of their dead older sister sent a rippling sensation through his gut, which he was certain had nothing to do with the gentle currents in the watery hallway.

  Tyssia was the oldest amongst them, and would had been right there with them, had she not been in that horrible accident a few months ago, which their parents never shed light upon. In her heart, Aquarius felt that Tyssia deserved to be the guardian more than any more of them should. She was gentle and patient, never raising her voice towards them. She should have the honor of guarding the powerful gem. She was the one best suited for it.

  Aquarius missed her with all her heart. Still did. She loved her.

  Before she could dwell on it any longer, the doors to the hall burst open, revealing the crowds that awaited the young prince and princess of Atlantis.