♧21. Bounty Hunting♧

Suddenly, Gordon picked up the sound of light footsteps with his sensitive ears. He tensed up, his hand creeping towards his bow as the sound reveberated lightly through the cave walls. Johnathan must had sensed it too, his posture instantly shifted, locked in a stance that could either allow him to attack or defend with ease. The strange boy reminded him of a predator, but he couldn't place which.

  The footsteps didn't slow, didn't stop. His heartbeat quickened. The entire team must had been exhausted at this point, except for maybe Aquarius, there wasn't much strength they could muster to fight against a potential yet powerful invader.

  His locked muscles relaxed the moment a familiar voice rung out," Jeez, man. You guys look like literal crap. Enjoyed your marathon?"

His hand relaxed on his bow, as the others perked up. Cedric Major was standing at the mouth of the cave, a mischievous and confident grin on his face.

  "No," Gordon said flatly, then squinted at him,"What about you? What happened to those guys?"

  "Nah, it was nothing," Cedric waved it aside, casually," Not worth mentioning."

  "No, really, I'm curious."

  "I sent them back to where they came from, with their tails between their legs."

  Jason frowned," You sure about that? I mean, if they suddenly showed up again, we are screwed."

  "If they're smart, they won't," Cedric snorted," And if Tyrachus is that much of an idiot, I am sure he would had gotten out of a job a long time ago."

  "Dunno, he seems pretty determined," Gordon shrugged.

  "I guess we'll find out," Johnathan said, then added,"Whether we like it or not. We need to be prepared. We were totally outclassed out there."

  "Like the way you're outclassed fighting against me?" Cedric chuckled.

  Johnathan made an animalistic growl and started to rise,"You-"

  "Oi, shut it!" Jason said loudly,"The last thing we need is another fight around here."

  Johnathan glared balefully at Cedric but sat back down.

  Cedric spread his hands like he was a generous benefactor, "No, no, if he wants a fight, I'd gladly rearrange-"

  " How did you do that?" Aquarius interrupted, instantly cutting off Cedric's invitation for a fight.

  "Do what?" The blond raised an eyebrow.

  " I mean, keeping them away and stuff like that. The rest of us can't even make physical contact with them. How'd you draw them away?"

  Cedric winked, and wagged his finger,"Now, that's a mystery that I unfortunately can't tell, as much as I would like to."

  Johnathan snorted," Please, as if we want to know."

  "You guys are missing the point," Jason interrupted," The god of death is after us. Why?"

  "Cedric?" Gordon turned to the boy.

  "Don't look at me. I have no idea." Cedric said snidely, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

  "Any guesses?" Johnathan prompted.

  Cedric grunted, clearly uncomfortably with all the attention on him,"Why the hell are you all looking at me like that?"

  "Because you are the one who seems to know the most about those things?" Jason suggested.

  Cedric groaned and rolled his eyes as he muttered, "Why I still bother with you people is such a mystery."