♤39. What it means to be a god♤

A/N
Just a heads up, super long chapter here.(Like, over 8000 words long XD)

Pain rackled Jason's body and his brain alike. He had shielded himself with his wings in a desperate attempt, he gritted his teeth as the lightning slashed and hacked away at his meagre defenses. His wings felt like breaking, enduring an unrelenting amount of heat from Herno's powerful energy attack. He could feel himself being pushed backwards like he weighed nothing, and he didn't have enough strength to resist.

  Then it happened.

  With a deafening cracking sound, the joint at the base of his wing snapped into two. His right wing ripped free, a stabbing pain erupted through every fibre of his being as he fell to the ground, his spine and remaining wing taking the brunt of the impact, rubbing against the stone beneath him before he finally rolled to a stop, his left wing collapsing listlessly on top of him, as he lay there, defeated, smoke curling off the glowing stump of what was his former right wing. The severed wing lay several feet away from him, wires torn, the titanium feathers charred and broken.

  He let out a ragged cough. Pain seemed everywhere, especially around his rib cage. He was sure he must had broken at least a rib or two. Every breath felt like inhaling fire, but it was nothing compared to the loss of his wing. His ribs could heal, but unless he made a whole new wing, it was gone forever. It was like Herno had brutally hacked off his arm or leg from his body. A vital part of him.

  Still, with a grunt, he heaved himself up, his remaining wing raised to ease the burden on his legs. His left shoulder felt heavier than his right. He wiped the blood from his nose and corner of his mouth, and stared at Herno, as defiant as ever, his spear still clutched loosely in his hand.

  Herno merely grinned sadistically. He felt pitiful, looking like this, but he knew if he didn't stop Herno, no one will. It was the right thing to do. And he did say it, as long as he had breath in him, he would stop her.

  Herno's blades sparkled with electricity, and then, she tossed them both in his direction.

  With a grunt, he spun his spear to deflect the blades.

  He missed. Both of them.

  The first buried itself in the base of his remaining wing. Sewing right through like it was butter, and sending a current coursing through his body. Something heavy tore from his mind the second his remaining wing was cut off, an undescribable, crushing pain descended upon him, tearing a scream of agony from him, even though the wing wasn't really connected to his flesh. Its presence left his mind. Gone. The connection completely and permanently severed.

  The second buried itself just below his right collarbone. His right chest went cold and numb. He felt the cold blade, foreign and alien inside his flesh. The blow knocked him backwards as a spurt of blood erupted from his lips. He fell back to the ground once more, the spear clattering out of his hand as his back connected heavily with the stone. His breath came in ragged gasps, his strength almost spent, his body rackled in so much pain from Herno's relentless attacks that he could barely feel the knife anymore. Besides, he was sure being electrocuted for dozens of times a day wasn't going to do him any good, even though it didn't seem to kill him outright.

  "No, you don't!" Johnathan growled, shakily rising to his feet as he lunged towards Herno, his dark, jagged knife gleaming.

  Herno regarded the vampire coldly, before summoning her knives back to her, violently jerking Jason's limp upper body upwards, a stream of blood bursting out of his chest as the blade pulled itself free. Jason gasped loudly, flopping back to the ground once more as blood gushed out of his wound, starting to pool around his right side. He coughed, laying there, feeling that his body was infused with lead. His eyelids felt especially heavy, but with every ounce of his remaining strength, he forced them to stay open.