Part 54

One morning the four of them were sitting at breakfast peacefully when both hybrids ears' twitched and they turned their heads to look out the front window, almost in tandem. The humans frowned at each other and Namjoon stood, going to peer out the window.

"Who's here hyung?" Jungkook asked.

"It's...a cop I think," Namjoon said, frowning. "Or maybe hybrid services." The fox's eyes flew wide and her heart began to pound loudly, ears twitching. But Jungkook just covered her hand soothingly with his.

"It's okay fox," he murmured, "you're safe."

Namjoon opened the door just after the man knocked on it, standing in the doorway and greeting him pleasantly.

"Hello, can I help you?" He asked.

"I'm sorry to disturb you," the man said, nodding his head. "But I was sent by the court. We've been trying to locate some of the hybrids that were housed at the illegal facility nearby and have been having trouble. However I believe one of them resides here, and I would like to ask if they would appear in court for the trial of Yoon Jeonghan."

The fox slowly rose to her feet and approached the door, her lips parted and big eyes wide in surprise.

"I was at the facility," she said softly, coming to stand next to Namjoon. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders protectively as she addressed the man. He nodded to her.

"Dr. Yoon is being tried for his crimes and I'd like to ask you to testify about what you faced under his care. We are hoping to serve justice and hearing from you will help," the man said. The fox was silent for a moment, considering. Namjoon gave her a little encouraging squeeze.

"I'll do it," she said.

-

The fox thought a lot about what she would say over the next weeks leading up to the trial. When she lay in Jungkook's arms in the middle of the night she thought about what her life had been like there and what it might have been had she never been at the facility. She gazed at the body of the man next to her, his eyes closed softly in sleep, his pink lips parted and long black ears flopping to the side, his hands unconsciously holding her tightly.

Would she have ever met this man if she hadn't been at the facility to begin with? Would she have a family? She sighed softly and settled down into the bed, snuggling against Jungkook's chest. He licked his lips and sighed softly, his eyes still closed.

"You're awake," he breathed, holding her close.

"I'm sorry," she replied.

"Don't be sorry. Are you alright?" He asked, his voice a low whisper in the dark room.

"Yes. I'm alright," she replied, kissing his arm.

"Mkay. Love you baby," he whispered, before allowing himself to fall back to sleep.

"Love you too," she whispered back, smiling to herself.

-

On the day of the trial Seokjin helped her dress in a new outfit they had bought her just for this, the pencil skirt and white blouse fitting less comfortably than what she ordinarily liked to wear. They chatted as he helped style her hair in loose waves, the dark brown locks falling over her shoulders, her orange ears peeking through. He helped her into the low heels he had picked out for her and watched her successfully cross the room in them before nodding, her bushy orange tail swishing behind her.

When the two of them got downstairs they found Namjoon straightening the bunny's tie, his black suit matching his long ears as he gazed up at the older boy. They were both dressed smart, their ties now perfectly positioned and suit jackets hugging their broad shoulders.