backpack

Peter was getting ready for school. Unlike any other morning Mister Loki was still sleeping under the layers of blankets with his back turned toward him. Mister Loki had always been an early bird, sometimes if Peter fell asleep (after promising to stay up all night guarding Loki) Loki would be the one waking him up, telling him it was time for school.

( Loki never made a fuss that Peter fell asleep after he said he wouldn't, but Peter felt bad and would always apologise anyway)

Today was different it seemed. Pete looked at him curling up in a ball, he was debating with himself if he should wake Mister Loki up. He didn't want him to wake up and find Peter was already gone. But Mister Loki rarely ever got any sleep; the nightmares always woke him up in the middle of the night and it was draining the energy out of him. Pete knew how much Mister Loki needed sleep to gain back his strength, to recover. ( He was recovering just slowly)

He'd know, Peter told himself. Mister Loki wouldn't panic when he woke and couldn't find Peter. He would know Peter had gone to school and would be back in the evening as always.

But Peter grabbed a pen and a note and wrote it down, Gone to school. Will be back in the evening, Breakfast is on the desk, with a smiley face, and placed the note on the nightstand table where Mister Loki would see. Just in case Mister Loki woke up and thought Peter left him for good and started panicking or something.

Peter took a glance at him; he looked kind of adorable sleeping like this. How could S.H.I.E.L.D and the rest of the world see him as a threat? Pete shrugged and reached down to adjust the blankets for Mister Loki.

He then grabbed his backpack and looped one of the straps around his shoulder before walking out the room, closing the door behind gently.

Once the door was fully closed the figure sleeping on the bed wavered; the illusion flickering before it eventually disappeared. And the room was utterly empty.

~~~

Peter shoved his backpack in the locker, shut it and locked it and went to his class.

He didn't open the locker for the rest of the class.

When it was time for lunch he came back, opened the locker and almost had a heart attack and died when he saw a green snake hissing at him. The snake looked pissed.... extremely pissed.

Whoa there... holy shit it's alive, was what went through Peter's head as he slowly backed away, too stunted to scream. His shaky hand carefully reached for his phone. There was a snake in his locker. He had no idea how it got in here, but for fuck's sake there was a damn, living snake hissing at him like a feisty cat. He needed to call the animal control.

Peter's thumb hovered above the screen, just above the green button. He was about to tap on it when it hit; there wasn't supposed to be a snake here. There was no way this was a normal snake.

Once realisation hit he put the phone back in his pocket and looked left and right to see if anyone noticed the fellow animal in his locker; everyone was minding their own business; a group of nerds was talking about the science project, the homecoming queen was re-applying her lipstick in front of her locker, and a hot couple next to Peter was too busy making out to acknowledge the world around. No one saw Peter's little friend in his locker.

In a quick movement Peter grabbed the snake, shoved it inside his backpack and quickly walked toward the nearest bathroom with the backpack in his arms.

The first stall was empty. He rushed to it and locked the door. Pete opened the zipper and shook both his books and the snake on the floor. The little one kept on hissing, definitely pissed.