they came wearing masks

Peter and the team tried to save Loki before he might be too far gone. Followed directly after the events of 'In the Dead of Night It Lurks' and 'A Slow Bleeding at the Soul'

///

"Have you seen Mister Loki?" The question wasn't directed at Thor, though it caught his attention nonetheless. Perhaps more than the one who was being asked; Clint Barton.

Clint said no and somehow, as Thor turned to looked, Peter didn't seem surprised, only disappointed.

He waited until the kid was alone before approaching him. "You said you haven't seen my brother?" It wasn't really a question. Shoot, Thor had hoped Loki was with Peter. Because it'd been days, a week maybe, since Thor last seen the Trickster God. He was partly positive Loki had been avoiding him. Why? Thor wouldn't know. There were simply... too many issues going on in that head of Loki's, but if Loki was with Peter then, even if a part of Thor was a little jealous, it would at least mean he wasn't alone. Loki and being-alone-when-he-was-down were a dangerous combination, mostly to Loki himself. Peter hadn't seen Loki either could only mean Loki was avoiding everyone, thus he was down and alone, thus a dangerous combination.

"Mister Thor?" Peter did sound surprised, then a tint of disappointment on his face he hoped didn't surface (it did, anyway) "I was about to ask if he was with you. I... guess the answer is no?"

Thor sighed. That was enough an answer. "I was hoping whatever it was, he'd tell you. I guess the answer is no?"

Peter's silence said it all. So Thor added, "When was the last time you saw my brother?"

The last time... the last time Peter saw Loki was days ago when Peter surprised him in his room and he, in return, surprised Peter with the bruises around his own neck. Peter never told anyone about that, despite the fact he wanted to, despite he probably should. Somehow it felt like telling would be betraying, because Loki promised he'd taken care of it and that he was fine (Peter didn't believe him, but he so badly wanted to) Now Peter just wondered if his not saying a word about it might be a big mistake, and he'd already started blaming himself. "It's been quite a while," Peter said after another moment's silence. Then, "do you think Mister Loki's in trouble?"

Thor huffed. "Why don't we go and find out?"

~~~

Perhaps find out was an overstatement because, once reached Loki's room and deliberately let themselves in after their knocking and calling received no response, Peter and Thor found nothing. Or, it wasn't nothing but actually something. It just... wasn't Loki.

Zeus was there, huddling in the corner in a room that looked as though it had been attacked by a hurricane. The couch was flipped over, a broken vase and a lamp knocked over on the floor, creating a huge mess, and on the wall, Thor carefully approached with dreadful feeling weighed in his chest, a dagger — Loki's dagger — driven into it.

Loki was nowhere to be seen.

Thor, with a reasonably amount of effort, pulled the weapon out of the concrete and examined. From the look of it all, it appeared a fight took place here. Someone broke into Loki's room and Loki either escaped or, Thor gulped, taken.

Peter went and picked a scared fox up in his arms. The eeriness of it all was that the situation was supposed to be filled with dozens of questions from both the Spiderling and the Thunderer, they were supposed to start shouting, panicking, calling for help from the team. Both of them let the haunting silence continue suffocating them alive. Perhaps they were too shocked to react in any way which was unarguably understandable.