i am flesh and i am bone

"So," Tony broke the silence, "we lost him. We have a literal God, who killed 80 people in two days and almost enslaved the whole mankind, out there somewhere on the street doing whatever God knows unsupervised... no pun intended."

The searching was a lost. They, Tony and Peter and May and Thor, spent a great amount of time trying to get at least some clue about where Loki had gone to, but they were utterly clueless.

"Mister Loki is not a threat," Peter argued.

"Oh right," said Tony, a bit frustrated (they were all frustrated) "he killed, manipulated, almost took over Earth. He's not a threat at all."

"He's changed." Thor's voice was hoarse. "My brother is no longer a danger to the people of your planet."

"May I remind you how many times he messed with your head? With everyone. Please, forgive me for not convincing he's really harmless." Then he pulled out a phone, making a call. Though before he could dial he was stopped by a hand grabbing his wrist.

"What are you doing?" Thor asked, his hold wasn't enough to bruise, but firm enough to deliver a warning.

"I'm making a call." Tony said. "This is a serious matter. Earth could be in danger. Loki is a highly intelligent criminal who's not only unstable and cannot be trusted but also capable of all the greatest terror. So please excuse me while I alert the government of the situation so they can obtain a warrant and prepare for an attack." He yanked his hand free from Thor and Thor let him (Thor could physically break Tony's bone, and he genuinely wanted to for how his patience was currently running thin, but he didn't wish to make things worse)

"I know you do not trust my brother," he said and then, "but I am asking you, please trust me. Loki is not going to cause any trouble. You chasing him down this way would only drive him over the edge."

Tony was quiet for a moment, but then, after a breath or two, he opened his mouth, "he's already over the edge."

"You don't have to do this." Thor spoke at the same time as Peter who voiced, "Mister Stark, please!"

Tony looked at Thor, and then at Pete, and then he sighed, "I know I look like a villain here, but trust me, I only want everyone to be safe." His eyes found Thor again, he looked sincere - was genuinely sincere, "no harm will come to him, if he turns himself in. You have my word."

Tony never got to press the call button for his phone was snatched from his hand, tossed away in the blink of an eye.

"What the -"

"You listen to me," May's face was only inches away from his, her finger poked his chest, "that's only a lost boy you're talking about. He ran away because he got scared, he is scared, and I will not have anymore treating him like he's a war criminal on the run, do you hear me?" She took a few steps back eventually, though her face was still murderous. "You don't have to help us look for him, but I will not allow you to call the entry army after him. Do you hear me? I will not stand it!"

Tony's face turned pale. He seemed speechless.

"Do you understand?" Now May just sounded tired (but still intimidating)

"Yes, ma'am." Tony said eventually.

~~~

Quentin stepped back and looked, and then he sighed. He hadn't planned for it to get this far, but it's been almost a day and Loki was still out cold, and he had to think about what he was doing next. What he was doing next - now that he took Loki home with him and had him sprawling out on his bed.

Because Loki knew something Quentin wanted; Spider-Man's real identity.

Spider-Man was Tony Stark's weakness, that was a common fact. If Quentin were to destroy Iron Man's life, he could - and he would - do so by aiming at his so called sidekick. That's why he needed Loki.

(It all should be over long ago. He was so close. It's Pe - Loki had said, and then he went out like a light. Like he dropped dead)

But really, for the time being, Quentin should be focusing on one thing at a time. His next task, his next task, Quentin thought thoroughly, the next thing he was going to do; he was gaining Loki's trust, pretending to be Loki's friend, anything it would take to fool Loki into believing Quentin was an ally, and then he'd get the secret out of him. Then he'd get everything he had always wanted; the world would worship him, and Tony Stark and Spider-Man and the whole Avengers team would be no more.

Then he would destroy him, too. The moment Loki called him a friend Quentin knew he would break the lost God down completely.

Collateral damage, that's what Quentin told himself. With his eyes still lingered on Loki, he thought, sorry, buddy. It's nothing personal.

~~~

Loki came around with a headache. He didn't remember much about what happened; it was all a blur. Though he remembered running away, remembered wanting to curl up and die. He thought he remembered an alley next to a bar, too. And that was it; what happened afterwards, he couldn't quite recall.

"Hey there," Loki flinched away (and cursed himself in his head for how pathetic he knew he must looked. Once upon a time he was a prince of Asgard, rightful king of Jotunheim. Once upon a time he was brave. Now he was nothing)

Loki stared back, with wide eyes, at the stranger sitting on the couch not too far from the bed... whose bed? Suddenly it came crashing in; Loki didn't know where he was, didn't know how he got here, didn't know who the man was and what he was going to do to him.

Or, after Loki managed to swallow down the wave of panic, he thought he knew who the man was. They met last night; the stranger in the alleyway who got Loki off the ground and took him to the bar.

"Easy," Quentin said, his voice friendly, and he was so casual that it looked like he was only trying to calm down a scared dog. "You're safe here," he said with that smile. That damn smile.

Loki gulped, but he was less tense, more relaxed since at least the man wasn't a complete stranger, and he seemed kind. So kind he reminded Loki of Peter and May, and that, for some reason, made something in Loki's heart ache.
(May must be worried out of her mind. Peter, what if Peter blamed himself. No, stop it, Loki screamed in his head. Stop thinking. Stop thinking about them at all. They're doing fine. They're better off without you.)

"You... is this your place?" Loki asked. He was proud of himself that he managed to control the shaking of his voice.

"It is," Quentin said, "thought I should say this properly; welcome to my house, Loki."

"You took me to your house?" In his voice there was what do you want from me hidden in it, but Loki believed it was best not to indicate any sign of hostility. Just go with it, Loki thought, see where this is going.

"Well.... you sure overdid it a little last night. And I just couldn't leave you there alone. Just thought someone should be taking care of you."

"I can take care of myself," Loki protested stubbornly (he was always stubborn) even though he wasn't sure of that anymore.

"Of course," Quentin spoke with a soft smile. He got up from the couch and lowered himself down on the bed just next to Loki (probably too close) Loki wanted to move away, though the hand placing on his thigh froze him on the spot.

Their eyes met and Quentin said in a voice almost a whisper, "but the truth is you don't have to."