sun hasn't died

"Hey kid," Tony talked to the phone in a voice he hoped would hide anything suspicious. He never got the chance to say what's the matter when Peter bombarded him with voice almost a scream. "Did you see the news? He's missing, Mister Stark. He's missing again. Mister Loki's missing! They - they said he escaped, but I don't think he did. He would've come to me!"

"Slow down -"

"I think someone kidnapped him!"

"What?! Why would anyone do that?"

"I don't know! He's just... he's just gone!" Peter sounded like he was on the verge of losing his mind. "He didn't go to Mister Thor. Why would - why would he run away?"

Maybe because he didn't wanna get executed, Tony didn't voice that aloud.

"Some... some dickhead kidnapped him, Mister Stark. I just know it."

"Hey hey hey," Tony interrupted, "language! Jesus Christ,"

"What if he's hurt? Or scared or - what if he died,"

"Kid," Tony rubbed his temples with his thumb and index finger. He realised belatedly that he might have been too noisy and woken Loki up, but when he glanced over, Loki just cocooned himself in that blankets Tony tugged him in earlier, still deep in sleep. "Do they... have any suspect as to who... might be kidnapping him?" Tony lowered his voice, speaking innocently.

"No," Peter said, "I told you, they think he escaped."

"And what makes you think that's not the case?"

"Because if he did, he would've come to me or Mister Thor. I told you," Peter raised his voice. He never raised his voice with Tony, but Tony could tell he was losing it for real, therefore it would be reasonable to cut him some slack.

"Right," Tony sighed. "Some... dickhead kidnapped him."

"We need to help him, Mister Stark," Peter didn't raise his voice anymore. He sounded tired and worried, and Tony felt a pang of guilt gnawing at the pit of his chest.

He bit his bottom lip, without really thinking he blurted out, "you know what, actually he is -"

Peter, that was May's voice, Tony recognised it, coming from somewhere from the other side of the line. Tony stopped what he was about to say and listened to May speaking indistinctly to Peter. Seconds later Peter said, "I gotta go. I'll take to you later," then he hung up.

Tony sighed. He looked at Loki again and wondered if he had done the right thing after all.

It sure felt right.

~~~

Loki was... enjoying the view, apparently. Tony studied him from a distance as he sat on a bench in front of the lake, he followed Loki's eyes and found he was being fascinated by two magpies flying from tree to tree. Loki seemed... relaxed. So far so good, Tony thought, his houseguest didn't look like he was going to suddenly have an episode and murder someone... namely, Tony since he was the only someone here.

He removed his eyes from Loki and opened his laptop. Peter said they already knew Loki was gone (of course they must've be alarmed by now - it's been... over a night since Loki's disappearance and the hearing was supposed to take place... probably by now) He googled 'Loki' and dozens of articles about him escaping the custody popped up on the screen. So far, everyone seemed to jump to the conclusion that he escaped and wasn't 'kidnapped by some dickhead'

So no one suspects you.

Which was a good thing except it may not be a good thing? This just meant they (except Peter) assumed Loki escaped, and that made Loki even more dangerous in their eyes; it meant the next time they saw Loki they would probably just put a bullet in his head right where he stood. Not good. Not good at all. But Tony couldn't just go and announce, hey everyone, it's okay. Loki didn't escape, he was too much of a harmless cinnamon roll for that. It was me. I'm the dickhead who kidnapped him because I didn't want him to face the death sentence.