poison inside us

Quentin opened his eyes the next day to the empty spot on Loki's side of bed.

He groaned and ran his hand through the sheet where Loki usually slept just beside him. The silky fabric felt cold against the warmth of his hand. Which meant the spot had been empty for quite a while.

"Lo?" He called, still lying on his back. There was no answer.

"Loki?" Quentin tried again. This time louder, only to be met with the same result; silence.

He furrowed his brows. Loki always answered to his call like a good loyal dog. This wasn't normal. His mind traveled to what happened yesterday; Loki breaking down after finding out what Spider-Man had said, and Quentin was there comforting him, pulling his shaking body close to his chest and whispering the rhythmic shhh in his ear until he claimed down. Then they went to sleep.

And here Quentin woke alone.

He sighed, getting up and grabbing his robe. Putting it on Quentin started searching the place for Loki. He looked in the living room, kitchen and checked the bathroom. Every room there was no sign of the broken God he took in.

"Oh, Loki," Quentin murmured when it became clear; Loki ran away during the night and Quentin didn't stop him. Couldn't.

~~~

"Peter," May opened the door just wide enough for her head to slip through, and wasn't really surprised to see her nephew still hadn't gotten ready for school. "Peter, you're going to be late," she pointed softly (because she knew how hard everything must be for him. The last thing she would want would be to give him a hard time - well, a harder time)

"I'm not going, May," Pete turned to face her, in his hand another pack of missing person posters with Loki's face on them in which he had recently had them printed out. "I was thinking about covering Main Street today, but Ned just texted saying he would be happy to do that for me. So I thought I'd stay here, you know in case he comes back,"

May gave him a sad smile in which he returned with the same amount of pain. She could make him go to class, make him stay there until the school bell rang, but she wouldn't do that. Peter had been through enough, the weight he carried on his shoulder way heavier than anyone his age should be carrying. Than anyone of any age should. With Uncle Ben's passing, being Spider-Man and joining the Avengers, having dusted for five years and now the unknown of whether or not he would ever see his best friend again. "Alright," she said, "just tell me if you need anything -"

There was a knock on their front door, cutting May off. They weren't expecting anyone.

"Could it be Mister Stark or Mister Thor?" Peter asked, placing the posters down and got on his feet. It could be Stark or Thor, though for some unknown reason Peter got a strange feeling about this.

"I'll go get it," May said, walking away.

It could also be just a mailman. It could be anyone and Peter wouldn't normally pay too much attention to the unexpected knocking. This time, however, there was this unexplainable tug somewhere in his chest that he couldn't quite ignore.

After a moment and he still hadn't heard from May that feeling in his chest grew stronger. Peter cautiously left his room and walked down the stairs to see who it was.

He saw May's shadow. She was standing there. Standing still at the front door.

"Who is it?" Peter asked, his voice low. He walked further until he saw her back. Peter stopped and his breath hitched. Standing at the doorway, standing in front of May was Loki.

Loki with bloodshot eyes. Loki who looked beaten and broken like a wounded animal ready to attack.