reckless

Tony stayed. He offered a place for May and Peter to stay, but he currently stayed at S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarter as the boy and his aunt gone to his place; the Avengers compound - there were plenty of rooms there.

As of now, Tony stayed at S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarter because he had too much in his head. The chances of Loki getting a death sentence tomorrow were high (May, Peter and Thor just didn't know that because Tony told them Loki would probably be fine, it was a lie but he couldn't afford any of them freaking out and doing anything stupid) an alien invaded earth, killed hundred and more, wasn't something the jury would take pity on. Tony shouldn't take pity on him, either. That bitch threw him out the window for Christ's sake!

But Peter cared about Loki. The kid would break, if something were to happen to him. And damn, Tony cared about the kid.

He sighed, running a hand down his face for probably the twentieth time since he'd been sitting alone on a bench feeling like a total idiot. Tony didn't even know why he was still here while he should've gone home hours ago and be in his bed by now. He didn't know what the hell he was doing.

He should forget about Loki. It wasn't like there was anything he could do. He already put himself at enough risk taking Peter down there to talk to Loki in his cell. That counted as the-stupid-shit-Tony-Stark-did-for-the-day and Tony had made a promise with himself long ago to do the-stupid-shit-Tony-Stark-did-for-the-day only once in a day.

Tony drummed his fingers on his knees, tapping his feet and chewing the inside of his cheek. He knew he must looked like a nervous kid about to be called in the principal's office for misbehaving. He hadn't felt this way since he was 13 when he accidentally burnt down the school's laboratory.

"Damnit," he cursed under his breath. He hated Loki, hated him for throwing him out the window, for attacking earth, for making May and Peter love him, and now for being such a pain in the ass to Tony. "Not my problem. Not anymore," he told himself. They could fire his brain on an electric chair and Tony couldn't care less. He would just have to comfort Peter later, and then the kid would eventually get over it. Peter would move on, and they all could put the Loki problem behind them.

Yes, that was the plan.

He stood and walked to the exit. It was snowing outside. Tony put his hands in his sweater, trying to get to his car as fast as he could; after all no one wanted to freeze to death here. He stopped in his tracks only after ten steps pass the door, and stood still as snowflakes fell gently on his shoulders. The weird feeling in his chest, in which he'd been trying to ignore, doubled, and Tony actually wished he had a heart problem. That would've been easier to deal with, with his money and his mind-blowing technology. The thing he felt right now, however, couldn't be cured with any medicine, and Tony knew it.

After around 30 seconds later, Tony swore again. He spun around and re-entered the building.

~~~

This is a bad idea. This is a very, very bad idea, the voices kept protesting the whole way as Tony secretly sneaked past the guards and down to the underground level. He knew he was going to regret this, but he was Tony Stark, and Tony Stark fed on stupid shit he'd done that made himself regret later.

He kept in the shadow, avoided all security cameras. Then he was in front of Loki's cell.

The thing about S.H.I.E.L.D was that they were overconfident with their security system, so sure Loki couldn't get through the lock, hence the lack of agents guarding the door. Tony smirked. With a green light the door slid open. He stepped inside.

Tony expected to see Loki sitting on the bench, flashing him his ghostly smile and sinister eyes. To his surprise the bench was empty.

He would've panicked (maybe not necessarily panicked, but it would've been a hell of a surprise) if his eyes didn't land on a figure huddling on the floor in the corner. Even with his back facing him, Tony could see Loki flinching a little before turning around to face him. What his saw wasn't a ghostly smile and sinister eyes like expected but rather a caught-off-guard scared deer in headlights.

That look was gone as soon as it appeared, replaced by a snarl. "What do you want?" Loki asked, his voice hoarse. He looked wrecked, still on the floor, and Tony doubted he was even aware of the fact, despite the intimidating look he put on display, he was a huddling mess on the ground with fear, he couldn't quite hide, in his eyes while Tony stood tall a couple feet away from him.

Fuck. He looked so scared he couldn't even cover it.

This was wrong. This was nothing like the Loki who committed New York massacre years ago.

"I'm here to get you the hell out of here. Come on. Up," he nodded toward the door. Loki remained on the floor. Tony knew that look; Loki didn't trust him. (of course Loki had no reason to trust him. Couldn't blame him, though)

Tony sighed. "Look, we don't have all night. Unless you want to stay here, I suggest you start moving it before S.H.I.E.L.D shows up and we're both screwed,"

"I will not fall for it," Loki shook his head, "you're not stupid enough to help me, Stark,"

Ha. Tony wanted to laugh. "You overestimate me,"

Loki didn't respond. He pressed his knees closer against his chest, and he wouldn't take his eyes off of Tony as if he was afraid Tony was going to lunge forward and rip his throat apart or something. Tony took in the sight; it reminded him of someone who's been through torture. Something like that - like the look on Loki's face - couldn't be faked even by Loki, because Tony himself had been through torture before, he knew what a victim looked like when he looked one in the eye.

Maybe he was wrong about Loki.

He carefully got on his knees, still kept his distance, then he held out a hand for Loki to take. "I'm not gonna hurt you," he said and meant it.

No reaction from Loki, except for the trembling he seemed to fail miserably at trying to keep under control.

"Come on, Rudolph, it's just me. You know me. You threw me out the window, there's no reason to be afraid of me now," Tony took off his glasses with one hand, the other still reached out, so Loki saw his face better. He didn't even know why he did it, what was the point, he just felt like it would make him appear more... friendly? Less intimidating, perhaps.

Tony was never a patient guy, especially not under a circumstance like this where time was running out, but for some unknown reason he was extremely patient with Loki.

Minutes later Loki slowly reached out. Finally, finally he took Tony's hand, and Tony smiled.

~~~

Speeding down the highway with no other car around, Tony couldn't help glancing at the passenger seat ever so often. Holy shit, he thought, I actually did it, huh?

Never in a million years had he pictured Loki riding shotgun in his Lamborghini, but here they were.

Well, this is going to be so much fun.