I found something in the woods somewhere

Loki should have known, from many and many previous lessons, that nothing good ever came out of Peter shaking him awake in the middle of the night. Peter was doing just that.

The sleepy God opened his eyes to the Friendly Neighbourhood's face looking down at him.

"Mister Loki," Peter said, "I need your help,"

///

Thirty minutes past midnight, Peter was brought out of whatever-he-was-dreaming-about to the long, high pitch voices of something coming from somewhere out in the woods. He listened closely and carefully. No, it wasn't the howling of the wind. This was a crying of... someone. Someone was out there and that someone was hurt.

It could be a ghost, his Peter Tingle warned. Peter never ignored the Peter Tingle. He remembered what he saw with Mister Loki before bed tonight; Slender Man, and what happened to those poor girls disappearing into the fog-covered forest.

Mister Loki said the movie was lame, but Peter saw him flinch away and jump almost to the ceiling when Mister Stark unexpectedly sneaked up on him, and he asked Mister Thor to go to the bathroom with him after the movie ended. Whatever that meant, Peter made a mental note to only allow PG-13 movies from now on... after he showed Loki all the cool R-rated horror films that couldn't be missed.

The crying continued, voice cold and sharp it sent shivers down Peter's spine. It felt so far away yet so close that, sometimes, it felt like there was a girl crying on this bed right next to him which resulted in Peter whipping his head to the direction only to be met with emptiness beside him.

Jeez, he thought, I really am not in the mood for fighting ghosts. He didn't think he would ever be in the mood for fighting ghosts. Villains were okay, they were people, living and breathing. And that's what Spider-Man was made for; to be fighting them. Not some haunting or angry spirit - Peter believed that was Zak Bagans' duty and he wasn't about to steal the man's job like he did Captain America's shield.

It wouldn't stop. Only getting louder, creepier like there was a woman being murdered and was crying for help.

That tale about the Full Moon Killer he read from Tumblr re-entered Peter's head. He wanted to bury his head underneath the pillow and try to go back to sleep.

It wasn't very Spider-Man of him, if he were to sleep it off when someone's throat was being slitted.

So right now, in Peter's head, there were two possibilities; a living girl crying for help or a ghost of a crying girl looking for a soul to take. He hoped it wouldn't be the latter. As much as Peter was generous, he really wasn't looking forward to giving his soul to some lost spirit in the woods; that wasn't necessary what heroes did.

He grabbed the phone from the nightstand table. 'I think there might be a ghost haunting me right now' he texted Ned. 'If I die, tell May it's a ghost.'

Peter didn't wait for a text back, knowing his friend was most likely asleep at this time. He just... wanted someone to know, should worst did come to worst (aka the ghost took him to the land of the dead and he was forever part of the forest or something. What a sad ending for someone who saved the universe from the Mad Titan.)

~~~

Peter knew this was a very stupid idea; coming out here alone in a hoodie with nothing but a flashlight. He should have told Mister Stark or Mister Thor. Mister America was still here, too.

Peter didn't tell anyone except Ned, but it wasn't like Ned could be of help here when Ned was probably still asleep in his apartment and hadn't seen his text yet. It was only that part of Peter, the smallest part, still believed this could be nothing. He didn't want to make a fool out of himself by waking everybody up, and it turned out to be his imaginary, his brain playing trick on him. If that was the case, then no one needed to know. If there was a girl in danger, then Peter could help her, and he would make everyone proud.