love you but i'm going down

In which a significant someone made a comeback.

///

Loki found himself fidgeting his thumbs as Thor stood before the judge, telling the man how his brother was not only under duress but also under the influence of the Tesseract, one could say he was drugged, when he attacked New York in 2012. Thor was wearing a suit, and so were Loki. Midgardian suits. Loki was familiar with the garment enough, having previously worn them on three other occasions: when he visited Thor on Earth, when he and Thor were here for Odin and when he - Loki gulped, when he attacked New York, shamelessly killing a man before demanding a hundred of others to kneel. Though he had to admit, as much as the sight of Thor in a suit felt strange to him, Thor looked good - elegantly good. The fine black fabric fitted Thor's muscles just nicely.

And here Loki knew just what exactly he was doing; trying to distract himself with whatever he could. Because anything, anything was better than the presence, the reality. If he were to focus on what was going on around him, what was going on with him as the center of the matter, Loki would lose his mind and start hyperventilating, and that would not do any good.

Thor seemed calm. Thor was calm which was a relief. Things would've been ugly, if Thor were to lose his temper.

Loki tried keeping his expression stern, his eyes blank as he gazed up ahead, not at anything or anyone in particular. But he was shaking, nervous beyond the maximum. He felt like he was dragged back to that day on Asgard, stood in chain before Odin as his fate was being judged: a life locked away in the dungeons. Except Loki wasn't wearing any chain right now, except he was nervous right now.

(He wasn't nervous back then, just... hurt. He was hurt when Odin told him his birthright was to die, when the Allfather said he would never see Frigga again. Loki couldn't tell why he was nervous sitting amount dozens of Midgardians. He once referred to them as an ant under his boot, now he was waiting for his fate to be decided by them. Maybe the reason why he was so nervous was because right now he didn't want to spend the rest of his life alone in prison. Because right now he had Peter and May and Thor and even Tony and Steve, and he wanted to be with them.)

They seated behind him: Peter, May, Tony and Steve. And Loki knew how much he looked like a child every time he glanced backward just so he could see their faces and so he could be sure they were still here with him. How pathetic. Loki couldn't help himself. Every time he looked back, May gave him her reassuring smile which reminded Loki of his mother, and it helped calm his nerve - at least a little.

His mind was foggy in which he was, somewhat, grateful. The judge spoke something and Loki could hear the words, he only failed to understand them as a whole, and he figured it was because he was that nervous that his brain couldn't function properly. A blessing in disguise. Loki would rather not know what was being said about him.

Next thing Loki knew, they were congratulating him. Peter jumped at him, then Thor pulled him into an awkward hug. May hugged him, too. And Tony patted his shoulder.

Loki should be happy. He should be relieved. Him and his trust issues knew better: it was only a matter of time until something happened.

~~~

Him and his trust issues always knew best. Loki only had three days - three days of him being a freeman, now living in the Avengers compound with the whole team, who was able to walk down the street, before he got a call from Nick Fury.

Okay, Fury didn't directly call Loki. The one-eyed man and the God of Mischief hadn't reached that point just yet. Fury contacted Tony, he delivered the message he wished for Tony to carry to Loki.