the culprit

Keeping a living fox cub a secret in a house full of four other people who always looked for what was off was not as easy as one two three, Peter had to admit. It was, as a matter of fact, harder than keeping Mister Loki a secret from May back then - how come keeping a puppy a secret became harder than keeping a literal Norse God a secret? That Peter didn't know, but it was harder. More challenging.

The kid lied awake in bed, eyes on the ceiling, hands under his head, thinking about... the great responsibility weighed on his shoulders.

Maybe this was part of being an adult, Peter thought. So much responsibility. He was... proud of himself. He did so good keeping that poor cub save.

~~~

Loki couldn't sleep: the mutt wouldn't stop whining and scratching the floor, and Norns, he was going to wake the entire house up, and it would be Loki's ass on the line since the mutt was in his room, right under his bed.

How did he even agree to it when Peter suggested (manipulated) it was a good idea to let the mutt stay here and not in Peter's room?

"What do you want?" Loki hissed, half whispered, as he leaned his head down from the edge of the bed to look where he kept the cub. Though the second the cub saw Loki he seemed... calmer. Quiet. The mutt looked at him with his (literal) puppy face and Loki rolled his eyes. At least he wasn't making any noise.

"Keep quiet," Loki ordered. The moment his face was gone from the mutt's sight, the mutt started whining again. And if Loki could bang his own head against the wall until his skull cracked so he could escape such a pain in the ass, he would.

"I said keep quiet. You're going to wake everybody up," Loki leaned down again, hissing at the little monster under his bed.

The mutt stopped crying as soon as he saw Loki's face. They stared at each other for a good minute before Loki straightened his back up again once he was sure the thing under his bed had cooled down. His face was no longer in the line of the cub's vision.

And the cub started howling viciously he was going to wake not the entire house but the entire forest up.

How could something so small had a voice so loud?

"Stop it, you're going to get me killed!" Loki jumped out of bed and lied his entire body down on the floor,. He kept his voice still a whisper. Just like a magic, the cub stopped, because he could see Loki's face again - which meant he wasn't abandoned.

Loki narrowed his eyes skeptically. He knew puppy couldn't smile, but he could swear the cub was smiling at him. Grinning. What was an innocent smile of an innocent puppy was a sinister grin in Loki's eyes.

"I underestimated you," Loki muttered, mostly to himself. The cub wagged his tail, and Loki tried, very slowly, to move himself back and up to the bed. The mutt's ears straightened and his tail stopped wagging when Loki made the slightest movement. Loki didn't make it to the bed before the devil howled again, even louder.

Loki dropped himself back down to the floor. As soon as the devil saw him, he turned quiet and he started wagging his tail again.

It registered to Loki now. It was either him sleeping on the floor where the cub could see him or him allowing the devil in the bed with him. Either way, Loki wasn't going to like it.

Loki groaned and picked the culprit up in his arms before he climbed up on the bed, placing the culprit next to him.

The cub was supposed to stay next to him, keeping as much space as possible. The second Loki's head hit the pillow and his back on the mattress, the cub climbed up on top of him, curling into a tiny ball of fluff and making himself comfortable on Loki's chest. And Loki held very still as though he'd been paralysed.