prologue

- JUNE 3, 2019

    "...and for the last time, I present to you the class of 2019!" Principal Fields said proudly. Blue and gold caps flew up and landed sparingly on the ground of the football field. This was it. I had just graduated high school. I turned and hugged my friends around me, sadly knowing this was probably going to be the last time I see or talk to any of them. I would be leaving for UCLA in the middle of July, and as much as I wished to spend the last few weeks I could with my friends, I knew it wouldn't happen.

   A familiar pair of arms wrapped around my waist. I spun around and my eyes were met with the boy I've grown to love in the past 3 years. Aaron smiled down at me and placed a small kiss on my forehead.

   "We did it, Baby." He smoothed out my hair before placing the gold cap back on my head. "I have a surprise for you when we get back to your place."

    "You didn't have to-" I began to say but he cut me off by placing his finger on my lips. 

     "Don't worry about it." Aaron took my hand in his and lead me over to where our families were.

      We took endless pictures together and with our friends before leaving out high school for the last time. We had dinner at my house, and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about what this 'surprise' was. Aaron was known to be predictable when it came to these things, but for whatever reason I couldn't seem to figure this one out.

   "It's crazy to think that we're not high school students anymore. It feels like just yesterday I was staring at you in our freshmen math class," Aaron said as we walked into my room.

    "You did that all throughout high school, Aaron." I laughed back. I sat on the edge of my bed while he unbuttoned his shirt. He took it off and replaced it with one of his hoodies thay hung in my closet.

     "You know what I mean," He came over and sat next to me. He placed his hand on my thigh and looked up at me sincerely. "I was thinking about something recently. You moving to Los Angeles for school, me staying here and working for my dad. It would be the first time in almost 4 years that we would be apart for longer than a week."

   "I know, I'm gonna miss you so much." I sighed sadly. As much as I was ready to be out on my own and have my independence, Aaron defienetly was a factor on when it came to choosing my school. Everyone knew my plan was to go out of state, but there was a slight chance on me staying in Pennsylvania to keep our relationship maintable. He was the love of my life, I couldn't possibly ruin what we had by going so far out. But he pushed me to follow my dreams and go to Los Angeles and study literature. And when I go accepted into UCLA, he seemed more excited than I.

    "Well that's the thing," Aaron's voice trailed off as he pulled out a little box with a pink bow from his back pocket. He hesitated before handing it to me. I waited a moment before opening it. My heart raced as my shaky hands opened the box. Inside revealed a single key.

     "What is this for?" I asked, holding the key in my hand. Aaron pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to me. Unfolding it, I saw an ad for a studio apartment in LA. Under it said 'SOLD'.

      "Surprise," He whispered in my ear. "We move in July 23."

       I turned to face him as my eyes teared up. I was moving to my dream city, studying to become an author, and now living with the love of my life. It was all happening so fast but I couldn't ask for it any other way.

      "I love you so much, Aaron." I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him tightly. He pulled me into his lap and nuzzled his face in my neck.

       "I love you, forever."